• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ground Probes - to have or not to have?

Hello everyone,

I can't seem to get a consensus from researching whether or not to use a ground probe. I utilize GFCI's , should I also use a ground probe? Some say yes, others say it may actually worsen a situation...

MLK

Why not use one? A ground probe and a gfci together are the safest option. That way if there is a major short you won't be the object completing the ground. Then in theory the gfci would should pop. Without the probe you might complete the ground and then you get the shock.

Ever since my first tank I have used one.

I had a bad power strip on my 1st tank and had enough stray voltage running through the tank to start a car.

After that I always used one....you never know if a pump or a heater will leak current into your tank and I always though it never hurt anything to use one.

Ok, this may sound like one of those dumb questions, but here goes....so I plug the Ground probe into one a GFCI outlets ( I have one of those GFCI units you plug into the outlet), is it still necessary to attach the little ground connector or is it already ground with the third prong?

not sure what you mean by little ground connector, but the third pin is your ground. Also make sure the outlet you are plugged into is actually grounded.

"These grounding probes come with a non-corrosive titanium rod attached to a 10ft stainless wire lead, a three prong grounded plug, with an additional grounding eyelet". It's the additional eyelet that confuses me...why have it if there if there is the three prong groung plug...but Ok I will plug the grounding probe into the GFCI unit I have..

MLK

Not positive on this but I think that is only if you have an outlet that does not have the third prong. You would use the screw.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This has been discussed in the past and there are mixed feels about using them. Try using the search area above to find the old posts.

If stray voltage has no were to go, there is no current flow. Once you throw a probe in there, you now have completed the circuit for current to flow...i.e. you juice your fish. The only positive I see with ground probes is that you don't get juiced when you stick you hand in the tank. Unless it is a real bad voltage leak, this typically is just a tingle...and to me that's a good thing because you now know you have a leak. If you use a probe, the only way you know you have voltage problems is dead fish.

I'm of the belief that if you use one, don't usse it all of the time. Only when you are about to get wet. Probe in tank, then plug into socket btw.

The reason for that is twofold. First, most of us fiddle with the tank anyways daily, so any stray voltage that would cause the circuit to trip would be caught once the probe is plugged in.

The second reason is that Murphy's Law rules supreme and chances are that that circuit would trip at the same time as you are leaving for work or a weekend away if you ran the probe 24/7.

Though from the extremely safety standpoint I would have AFCI breakers and GFCI outlets that were tested regularly.

I searched previous discussion on ground probes and stray voltageand I am back to my initial issue...there is no real consensus on the use or against and there are good discussions pro and con...that said,

I am leaning towards Vangvace's thought process...
"I'm of the belief that if you use one, don't use it all of the time. Only when you are about to get wet. Probe in tank, then plug into socket btw. The reason for that is twofold. First, most of us fiddle with the tank anyways daily, so any stray voltage that would cause the circuit to trip would be caught once the probe is plugged in.
The second reason is that Murphy's Law rules supreme and chances are that that circuit would trip at the same time as you are leaving for work or a weekend away if you ran the probe 24/7"

MLK

I think it's a waste. If your water has electric current in it you have a problem. Better off checking your whole electrical system and finding the problem instead of masking it with a probe

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
This is precious. Very interesting to know all this. Here is my delima ..
I have the tank in my family room and there is no GFI outlet. Do I need to get an electrician to get one in or will the ground probe suffice?

monroereef said:
This is precious. Very interesting to know all this. Here is my delima ..
I have the tank in my family room and there is no GFI outlet. Do I need to get an electrician to get one in or will the ground probe suffice?

You might be able to wire it yourself, but iirc it would depend on your homes wiring. If not you could get a GFCI that plugs into your current outlet.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Where can the plug in be purchased from? Will HD or Lowes have it?

I could not find the post, but I remember reading a forum on TRT that a few, or maybe one, user mentioned that ground probes will not actually stop you from getting electrocuted?

I've had one... but I haven't gotten around to install it yet.

Nickjr000 said:
I think it's a waste. If your water has electric current in it you have a problem. Better off checking your whole electrical system and finding the problem instead of masking it with a probe

Most people don't know how to check for stray voltage. The probe is a safety precaution. Since our tanks are salt water and salt water corrodes metal, things will go bad.

For people that want to check for stray voltage, take a multimeter and set it to 120 AC voltage (might be 200V AC). Take the black probe and place it in the bottom ground pin of your outlet. Then place the red probe in the water and see if there is any current. If there is you can either figure out what is causing it, or if it is small, plug in your grounding probe and see if the current is still measurable.