• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gyre Flow Patterns

I just installed an IceCap 4k and a 2k on my 75 gallon. My old pumps weren't doing the trick and dynos kept coming back. I don't have any SPS coral. What wave flows do you guys and gals prefer. I never had an option before lol.

Salted

NJRC Member
I’m going through the same thing. I just sat there for an hour and tried different wave patterns and speeds and watched how my corals’ movement would change. Finally picked something and things look fairly happy. Does flow really have that much impact on dynos? I have a bunch of happy mushrooms on the sand bed that I like very much that I don’t want to piss off.

From what I've read flow seems to have an effect on them. If I clean my power heads once a week, I keep them under control. However, if I forget to clean them or don't get around to it, they end up coming back all over the rock and sand bed.

I doubled the flow in the tank, so I set the upper limit of the 4k to 75% to help the corals get used to it.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have gyres in a lot of my tanks. I always set them at random flow and the highest setting. When I clean them I make sure to change the flow pattern and direction of the pump

When I clean them I make sure to change the flow pattern and direction of the pump
Good idea about changing the direction of the pump! When you say that you choose a random flow, it's not a preset named random, right? You just randomly select from the available presets?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Good idea about changing the direction of the pump! When you say that you choose a random flow, it's not a preset named random, right? You just randomly select from the available presets?

No there is a random setting. I forgot what it’s called.