• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

H2Ocean New Salt anyone try it?

I obviously haven't used the salt in question, but I did see a could of "red flags" in the posted link. First, it's made by evaporating NSW, so it means that anything that originally was in the NSW makes it into the salt. Also, they said "... has been developed by D-D following many months of testing and evaluation. ..." I fail to see how a new salt can be properly evaluated in only months.

I'm not saying that the salt is good or bad, just that seems to be some questionable claims.

My take is this. You have a reef system with a lot of investment in equipment and livestock. Salt is one of the less expensive components. Unless you are having a salt related problem or condition, why put everything at risk by trying a new salt?

DaveK said:
Unless you are having a salt related problem or condition, why put everything at risk by trying a new salt?

Cause I've been using RC salt for years and had a major problem thanks to a bad batch, synthetic sea salts aren't always the best now, I'm hearing bad things in the manufacturing of synthetic salts, a lot of brands are now being made in China to save money and that is one of the big problems.

Here's just a couple of links about the problems with RC salt from DF&S
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1285879&highlight=reef+crystals

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1298050&highlight=reef+crystals

mott768 said:
Cause I've been using RC salt for years and had a major problem thanks to a bad batch, synthetic sea salts aren't always the best now, I'm hearing bad things in the manufacturing of synthetic salts, a lot of brands are now being made in China to save money and that is one of the big problems.

Here's just a couple of links about the problems with RC salt from DF&S

RC salt seems to run into problems every few years with bad batches and quality control. Other than cost, I personally can't see why anyone seriously into the hobby uses it. Yet, there many people that maintain fantastic reef systems using it. I wish I knew why some people get good results and for others it's bee a disaster.

I quite agree about a lot of brands being made in China to save money.