• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hair algae and calcium reactor?

Hey people,

I need some help here. I'm not going to go through all of my water parameters, no need because they are spot on perfect. Water changes done weekly.

I have just recently been getting out of control hair algae and it seems only since I've hooked up my calcium reactor. Has anyone experienced this problem? Or does anyone have a logical reason as to why this is happening?
It's not a feeding issue because fish are only fed ever other day, and as I said earlier water parameters are perfect, no phosphates, no nitrates etc.....

Thanks

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Curiously Tagging along here....My brother has the same problem. The only thing we can think of is that he is using old media that sat idle in water for some time. The reactor was given to him

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What is your magnesium level? You won't get a reading for nitrates or phosphates because the algae is using them up as fast as they are produced. What are you feeding the fish and corals?

My suggestion would be to raise your mag to 1400-1450 and stop doing water changes. Let the algae use up the nutrients in the water and starve itself out. By doing water changes you are most like;ly adding more nitrates and/or phosphates to the tank. Check your make up water and see what readings you get for those 2 tests.

Also how olde are your lights and how long are you running them?

I am using RO DI water with relatively new cartridges. I am using media though that was given to me in the reactor when I bought it. I did think of that but not sure why that would be the problem. I thought that maybe the CO2 might be the issue.

My HQI is new as well as one of my PC's the other PC is 8 months but given what little light they give off, I really don't think it's my light. My timing has not been changed since setup.

My Mag is was 1465 at my last water test. (Saturday)

TAZ, What kind of reactor does you brother use? I don't think the make would be the problem but just curious, just something else to rule out

agree with Matt, where is your mag at? I started to get hair algae when my mag dropped to 1280-1300, I've been raising it back to 1400 and I now notice it's receding.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
You might have the CO2 on the reactor too high. This will add excess nutrients to the tank which will promote algae growth.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think this issue is particularly common specifically relating to hair algae. I have a Ca reactor on one tank and hair algae in the other. Consequently, the one with the HA is the one that doesn't have as high a maintenance schedule.

OK phyl I am here before you ask this time.

This absolutely could be caused from the ca reactor and the low mag.As in the other thread, the calcium, carbonate and magnesium are all related. What wasnt mentioned in the other thread was phosphates. Phosphates can bind to the crystal as well and precip out. So in a ca reator, where this relationship is at a very high envelope, you want to make sure the mag gets first dibs on the crystals. So keep your mag a little higher. Even run a second chamber with some dolomite.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
stcreef said:
...Even run a second chamber with some dolomite.

I have a question on this one: I had heard that dolomite breaks down at a lower pH than typical Ca reactor media (like A.R.M). I think I heard that dolomite needs a pH of something like 6.5, where as A.R.M. breaks down between 6.8 and 7.0 and pretty much turns to mush at anything lower. The result is either dolomite that never converts into Mg or reactor media that turns to mush and is pretty much worthless. This may all be "urban legend" though as I don't have a chemical background . . .

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks! I still contend though that it is lack of nutrient export ... not running the Ca reactor that is causing the HA. Maybe exacerbated by the reactor (binding to the wrong element), but if the nutrients wheren't there, the Ca reactor isn't creating them. Right?

JohnS_323 said:
I have a question on this one: I had heard that dolomite breaks down at a lower pH than typical Ca reactor media (like A.R.M). I think I heard that dolomite needs a pH of something like 6.5, where as A.R.M. breaks down between 6.8 and 7.0 and pretty much turns to mush at anything lower. The result is either dolomite that never converts into Mg or reactor media that turns to mush and is pretty much worthless. This may all be "urban legend" though as I don't have a chemical background . . .

Dolomite is CaMg(Co3)2, its not very soluble as compared to aragonite. So yes the dolomite would require a lower ph to get the same results. In fact much lower. However running a second chamber full of dolomite gives the effluent a chance to pick up some free mag ions. Its one of those its better than nothing situations.

Phyl said:
Thanks! I still contend though that it is lack of nutrient export ... not running the Ca reactor that is causing the HA. Maybe exacerbated by the reactor (binding to the wrong element), but if the nutrients wheren't there, the Ca reactor isn't creating them. Right?

You are absolutely correct Phyl. But, I always have a but, those nutrients will always be there. Just in how much quantity. The reactor will definitely exacerbate the situation by concentrating them. And no the reactor isnt creating them. Unless your reactor has turned into a nitrate factory. Which is possible I guess. hmmmm Which goes back to his brother using old material that sat idle in water. I would open it up and smell it. But be careful.

Thread hijack....

all this talk about Dolomite...("the tough black mineral that won't cop out when there's heat all about")

makes me think of one man:
farnsworthcopy.jpg