• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hair Algae Growing

I meant cut down on phosphates and nitrates not the other two lights. You could turn off your lights for 2 days which would also help. Again, though this does not cut down on your phosphates or nitrates. Have you tested for either recently?

I havent checked for my levels i will do that before i do a 5G water change tomorrow.

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR WATER? do you make it yourself or get it from a lfs ? for me I like to know what tds reading I get before even mixing salt. With LRFO tank the type of salt is not an issue. i AGREE with matt your skimmer sucks so does the one you want to upgrade to thats fine if you do weekly water changes. make it easier and at least get a smaller reef octopus. But think long term about what your ultimate goals are with your purchases.
Most of us have a section in our garages of equipment we bought and never use again. no I dont have an extra skimmer.

Where i get my water is from my facit which i also use stress coat to kill the chorine. Yes i know that i have to get a Ro-Di A.S.A.P

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have an old Kent phosban reactor if you need it. I am not sure if I have the pump but will check. Let me know; my zip is 07735.

I have an old Kent phosban reactor if you need it. I am not sure if I have the pump but will check. Let me know; my zip is 07735.

Thanks for the offer but i do have a reactor i just have to buy more GFO. I have TLF one. I got with a pump for 15 bucks =) i couldnt say no to that deal lol

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I think that you need to get some GFO or Phosban and start running the reactor again.

I just checked my water levels and they are. But I think my Ph might be low? I will be doing a water change on saturday.

Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Phosphate 0.25

howze01

NJRC Member
I would say Phosphate is your enemy there. pH is a little low but not terrible. You're going to have to bring the phos down though. Water changes weekely, less feeding and maybe a reactor if you can. A reactor alone will drop it significantly. Maybe keeping the lights off a little longer than usual too.

I just checked my water levels and they are. But I think my Ph might be low? I will be doing a water change on saturday.

Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Phosphate 0.25

what kind of test kit is measuring the nitrates? Better not be the Magic 8 ball. (LOL).

I would say Phosphate is your enemy there. pH is a little low but not terrible. You're going to have to bring the phos down though. Water changes weekely, less feeding and maybe a reactor if you can. A reactor alone will drop it significantly. Maybe keeping the lights off a little longer than usual too.

I do have a phosphate reactor but i just have to buy more GFO. How can raise up Ph? Im guessing after i start running my phosphate reacto again?

ph is the least of your concerns at this time. Improve the nutrient export will help in the long run - so that means either:

increased frequency on water changes
increased volume on the water change
better skimmer
macro algae (chaeto - do you want some?)
rodi
reactors
or all of the above.

Of course we are all on budgets so you have to pick and choose your battles/medicine.

btw the reason i ask on nitrate is that it's pretty rare to get it to zero. that is the holy grail that everyone strives for. When you get a zero analysis - my gut reaction is that the test kit is flawed or you are doing something wrong (e.g. 5 drops instead of 4 or whatever).

ph is the least of your concerns at this time. Improve the nutrient export will help in the long run - so that means either:

increased frequency on water changes
increased volume on the water change
better skimmer
macro algae (chaeto - do you want some?)
rodi
reactors
or all of the above.

Of course we are all on budgets so you have to pick and choose your battles/medicine.

btw the reason i ask on nitrate is that it's pretty rare to get it to zero. that is the holy grail that everyone strives for. When you get a zero analysis - my gut reaction is that the test kit is flawed or you are doing something wrong (e.g. 5 drops instead of 4 or whatever).

I do have cheato in my sump thanks for the offer =)

Cheato (Checked)
Reactor (Checked)
Ro-di (Unchecked)
Skimmer (Checked/Changing)

Btw how can i increase the water volume?

I do have cheato in my sump thanks for the offer =)

Cheato (Checked)
Reactor (Checked)
Ro-di (Unchecked)
Skimmer (Checked/Changing)

Btw how can i increase the water volume?

Sorry I should have been clearer - you said you do 5g water changes. Increase that to 10g or whatever increased volume you are comfortable with.

Sorry I should have been clearer - you said you do 5g water changes. Increase that to 10g or whatever increased volume you are comfortable with.

Yes i do 5G water change. I will take that advice and start doing 10G now hopefully that starts working well for me ^_^