• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hair Algae

So I finally have my system officially up and running. All is doing pretty well, but I have been battling hair algae for a few weeks. I read that raising Magnesium levels can be very effective so I gave it a try. Yes, it does seem to have an effect, but it is not a complete solution. Although obviously receding, I still had a pretty large bloom. That was until I received my two tangs 3 days ago. I received a beautiful yellow tang and a powder blue tang. Both arrived healthy, happy and hungry. To my surprise, in three days they destroyed my hair algae problem. I have never read about Tangs eating hair algae. Has anyone every heard of this before? Could it have any ill effects on them? How can I grow more to keep them fed? (just kidding)

lanceb13 said:
I have never read about Tangs eating hair algae. Has anyone every heard of this before? Could it have any ill effects on them? How can I grow more to keep them fed? (just kidding)
It is a well known fact that Yellow (and some other) Tangs are very good for controlling the hair algae and you will find plenty of threads in this club and on the web mentioning it. It will not hurt them.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lance, for feeding them they should have a diet that includes nori (seaweed) as they do need their veggies. Ocean nutrition also makes a veggie based food (formula 2) that is good for them. They'll eat meaty foods as well but they also need veggies.

Glad they've helped to solve your hair algae problem.