• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Halide parameters

I've been considering a new tank of late, wanted to go with a custom 187 60x30x24(rc calculator). I can't go any larger due to space and when I try to sell this to the wife I want her to know that I won't have to upgrade anything else except to have a new stand built (will be buying a new skimmer before I suggest the tank;) ). Will 3 250w halide penetrate the 30w and 24h? Right now I'm running the HQI but my ballast(new IceCap) are able to run any Single and DE bulbs.

thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Will you also be running actinics with it? If so then I'd say you're fine. If not you may find a bit of darkness on your tank front/back. If you have GREAT reflectors (AKA luminarcs) you can get away without the extra actinic bulbs as I think the light throw on those is closer to the 30".

Thanks Phyl I'm just in the planning stages trying to get a ball park estimate of what this really is going to cost opposed to what my wife will think it's going to cost.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Gotcha. Then go ahead and plan for luminarcs in June. You'll get by with what you have until then!

*waves* Hi Carol!

I've got 4 Halides over an 84" L 24" W and don't see any issues with 3 over 60". Normally for a 48" tank you get 2 lights in the strip so that's 1 Halide per 24" and you would be at 1 light per 20" which is even better.

The extra width isn't going to be a problem in my opinion if you do a traditional rock layout (open area in front of the rocks). The open area doesn't need the strong light but the backside where the corals/rocks are do. So worse case is you cheat a bit and move the lights back a bit. If you're planning some other rock layout like rocks across the whole side of the tank it might change things a bit.

Carlo