• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

halides placement

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Much closer than that (12") and the salt spray from the water surface will cloud the bulb and reduce efficacy. Best to keep it at least 9/10 off the water.

Phyl said:
Much closer than that (12") and the salt spray from the water surface will cloud the bulb and reduce efficacy. Best to keep it at least 9/10 off the water.

Yes I agree but on Summer time I try to raise it because I dont have a chiller. Usually Fall to spring I have it 10" .

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's where a pendant is helpful! Mine is stuck where ever I put it, which I think is 12" (or very close to). I had my halides at 6" originally (when I had the stock Oceanic canopy) and while it worked... it didn't really work. There was sooooo much salt spray on my bulbs they were rendered useless (and uncleanable, by all attempts).

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
That depends on the reflector you have, the type of bulb (SE or DE) and if you have heat issues with the tank or not.

My MH's are about 18 inches from the tank. I think this is a little too far, and I plan to reduce it to about 12" in the near future.

sgarron said:
Is that 12" from the bulb or the bottom edge of the reflector?

The distance for MH placement isn't that exact a science, especially since the bulb is only an inch or so from the reflector bottom.

I was just going to eyeball it.