• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hammer coral polyp drop off

So a while back I asked about the polyps of my hammer coral randomly floating,away from the skeleton.. Well not to long ago I found another one missing and didn't know what happened to it. Today I saw a green highlight in my tank and found the missing polyp head on the bottom in some rocks still extremely alive and healthy the polyp went missing about a month ago. Another thing I found was at the base of the polyp it was growing what looks like a new skeleton. I have a few pictures but they arent so great by I figured id share any ways

Attachments

• 1208171104.jpg
    1208171104.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1208171103c.jpg
    1208171103c.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 1208171103a.jpg
    1208171103a.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 1208171103.jpg
    1208171103.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 19
I have heard of euphyllia species using this as a form of reproduction. When the heads get too heavy to hold up they fall off and grow into new colonies with time. Maybe someone can provide more input and from experience rather than what I’ve heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
It's called polyp dropout. Basically something stressed out the coral enough to make a last ditch effort to try and save itself. So in the wild they would keep floating till they found a better environment. In our tanks we are a little more limited. It will not regrow skeleton but it will attach to rock or rubble on it's own if the issue is corrected. I've had them attach to rocks and even frag plugs once we fixed whatever was pissing it off.

My hammer did that the head sat in the sand now it on a rock open and it looks happy.

27a4105f508cb5a7a94dcaa78305b6da.jpg

The head attached to the rock