• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hammer Sweepers

So having only had my reef for a little over a year, I am still always seeing new things. One of my first corals was a nice size three head branching hammer. It survived as my tank matured for the 1st six months or so, but now has really thrived in the last three or four months. It has more than doubled in size (I had to cut it into two to allow room for them both in my tank) and continues to grow.

I had heard about hammer' having sweepers, but just assumed that people meant there basic tentacles. Anyway, out of nowhere in the last few days I have finally seen the REAL sweepers. There are about four or five tentacles that extend probably 2-3 times the length of the others. Also, a couple have gotten very thin at parts and one of the hammers is gone. (I think I read onetime about hammers releasing their stingers as a further weapon) I didn't see it come off, or know where it went, but it looks like another might do it soon, so I will watch.

I think that's why I really like this hobby, because there is so much to see and learn and you can never know it all.

Just be careful not to have it to close to other corals that they can sting. I learn something new everyday in this hobby.

So, now my hammer is throwing grenades :mad: and at least one hit. I found the tip of a hammer attached to an acro on the other side of the tank (29 gallon). I also found a white spot on my larger maze coral that I assume came from a hammer tip.

Here's a vid of my frog spawn attacing nearby SPS. Not a hammer, but same sweepers. I moved it to my fuge soon after this vid was taken.