• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hanna mag checker

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Not sure if it was the Hanna Mag or Calc test kit that was recently upgraded. The old test kits had bad reviews.

I have the new one and the results were pretty close to my salifert. Overall...happy with the accuracy and efforts to test.

Same. Had the same questions. Just make sure you buy a new one with the slight upgrades (I.e. new version has the countdown timer) I bought a new one and it is accurate. I double checked the results against another magnesium test kit and both were in line.

I may have to pick this up. I’m getting super high readings (1680ppm) right now with my Red Sea kit and want to compare to another kit.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Why even bother testing mag. In my tanks mag is almost always the same range.
I would focus on alk and make sure that number is good. I have never dosed magnesium. I add magnesium with just water changes. If your alk is within range your magnesium should also be in range. I have a trident that test magnesium but if it didn’t I wouldn’t go out of my way to test for it.

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
I also find it’s unnecessary to measure mag on a regular basis. According to Randy’s article the consumption of mag is negligible. So regular water change will suffice.

I had my Red Sea kit the measurements always exceeded the max level of the kit. BRS recommends aqua forest it worked fine for me. I will be doing an ICP test to confirm, among other things. But I do not plan to measure mag on a regular basis.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I also find it’s unnecessary to measure mag on a regular basis. According to Randy’s article the consumption of mag is negligible. So regular water change will suffice.

I had my Red Sea kit the measurements always exceeded the max level of the kit. BRS recommends aqua forest it worked fine for me. I will be doing an ICP test to confirm, among other things. But I do not plan to measure mag on a regular basis.
Agree. Unfortunately, when I redid my kitchen and bathroom I didn't allow for RODI inside hookup. I have to make water outside which cannot be done in winter. All my level drop during this time and when I start WC in warmer weather not so much a problem. I do have to adjust my doser though.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Agree. Unfortunately, when I redid my kitchen and bathroom I didn't allow for RODI inside hookup. I have to make water outside which cannot be done in winter. All my level drop during this time and when I start WC in warmer weather not so much a problem. I do have to adjust my doser though.
According to randy, if you go through 1dkh of alk per day and you don’t do water change for 1 year, the mag level will drop about 80ppm for the Year. So I am sure you will be fine in the winter :)

Last week the first time I have ever added magnesium in my tank due to low readings. Now the number is at 1680. Cal and alk are very stable. Guess I will just leave alone and with more water changes it will just come down. It’s not at a harmful level just high

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have the old one and the new one. They sent me the new one when they found out about the reagent issue. Easy to use. I have a trident but I still check with my hannah chckers every now and then.

snowxcross

NJRC Member
Ya... bought a new Hanna kit (updated), definitely tests high. I tested yesterday at 1467 versus the trident at 1326... Prior weeks it's similar as well, usually a difference by 100ppm. I go by my trident, pretty flawless, but interesting to say the least.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Ya... bought a new Hanna kit (updated), definitely tests high. I tested yesterday at 1467 versus the trident at 1326... Prior weeks it's similar as well, usually a difference by 100ppm. I go by my trident, pretty flawless, but interesting to say the least.
For me those two numbers are the same. 1326 and 1467. They are both between range and I would understand that for hobby grade equipment and for our need that very close: I like to keep my mag from 1200-1500 anything in between that and I am good.

snowxcross

NJRC Member
For me those two numbers are the same. 1326 and 1467. They are both between range and I would understand that for hobby grade equipment and for our need that very close: I like to keep my mag from 1200-1500 anything in between that and I am good.
Yup!!