• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

has anyone else tried this drastic measure

i have recently chatted with a member who after a crash did a 100% water change and it helped them alot.... has anyone else ever done something like this? i was just wondering that if you pre mixed the correct quantity of water and the ph's matched and the filtration was strong, with lots of live rock and sand. what would could be some of the possible reprecutions? and to cut the "why would i want to do this" discussion off, i'm just wondering.

I think the results would depend on the reason for the crash. Assuming all the parameters matched, the net effect would be an extreme reduction in any toxin/contaminants concentrations in the water column, if this was the cause. With that said, you would still have toxins/contaminants on surfaces in the tank ie. glass/rock/sand/ornaments etc. So one would either have to be diligent in cleaning those surface or proceed with follow up water changes to further reduce the concentrations.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have replaced all of the water in our 600g system twice now. Both times have resulted in happier healthier corals. Once about 2 or so years ago and the most recent time we replaced our water was when we lost all of our SPS. We had one piece left. My efflo. It was struggling and it was starting to receed at the tips. Replacing all of the water fixed that immediately and it is now regrowing over where it had lost flesh.

Sometimes desparate times call for desparate measures. Repeated 20% changes weren't solving our problem. The 100% change did.

one repercussion could be that you *may* have some things recede - only because water will somewhat yellow over time (unless you're really diligent with the water changes). This will then cause the light intensity to reduce.

Doing a 100% water change will get those yellowing compounds out - but then make the light more intense.

So that would be one potential repercussion I can think of. Oh and making 120 gallons from my rodi would be a long and tiresome occupation...LOL.