• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has anyone every painted a faux wood finish (garage/front door)?

Now that spring is here it's time to give our new house some curb appeal.

I purchased new shutters and was planning to just paint the plain white front door and garage door... Craig loves the look of wood doors but we can't afford them. So I was thinking of doing a faux wood finish on the garage and front door. I found sites online with directions but thought I'd see if anyone here had actually done it before and had any tips? Worse case I figure I'll just paint over it with black (which was my original plan anyways) and I'll only be out the cost of a few gallons of paint/glaze and some time.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds like a fun project. A lot of those new faux finishes are nearly bulletproof, so you should do fine. Be sure to post some progress pictures along the way!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Keep an eye out at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Sometimes they have the classes. I took one some years ago but never used it so I lost it.
Good Luck.

RichT said:
Keep an eye out at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Sometimes they have the classes. I took one some years ago but never used it so I lost it.
Good Luck.

I second that one. They have great guys giving directinos at "most" locations. Just watch. Each store is different and some are always going to be better than others so if there is a store just a bit further than the next give them a call and see if they will be doing a class.

Candi, I've done it. Let me take a picture and post it for you. They are not shutters, but crown molding. We bought the plastic type of molding for our bedroom, so staining was out of the question. Since I really wanted the "wooden" look I gave it a shot.

....to be continued once I take a picture. :)

---
Wendy

Ok, so I lied. It's not called crown molding, but chair rail. :-[

Here are some pictures:
ChairRail1.jpg

ChairRail2.jpg

I didn't do it the "right" way though. What I did was painted the chair rail in a beige tone (flat paint) first. Then I bought stain gel and applied it with a bristle brush until I reached the desired effect. I let it dry for 3 days and top coated with clear coat.

---
Wendy

Phyl said:
That looks great, Wendy!

Thank you, Phyl. Please excuse the color of the walls. I personally love it, but my husband isn't too crazy about it. I've painted them that color 6 years ago, and then I found out last year that I was partially color blind (red tones). :eek:

---
Wendy

Thanks for the tip on classes at HD everyone, I hadn't even thought of that.

Wendy... Ok first I have to covet you for your stand/canopy building skills (which I still plan on contacting you to work on one day once I figure out a bigger tank etc ;) ) but now I have to covet your faux painting too! Those look great. The front door is just one of those white painted metal boring ones, totally smooth so that will be trickier to get a texture/wood look on, the garage actually has a bit of texture to it so maybe that will work to my advantage. DH is afraid I'll make it look awful but like I told him, worst case I paint over it black which is what I was going to do anyways. I think I might have to give this a shot in the next couple weeks :D

I'll be sure to take photos, actually need to document the "coming to curb appeal" of the house LOL The people before us lived here for 3yrs, bought it brand new. They never put in one flower or any landscaping... guess that's better then me having to rip out ugly stuff though :)

Candi, the less texture, the easier it'll be because you can just go to town with the paintbrush and the gel. ;D Please let me know if you need help, I'd be happy to show you (on something other than the door though 'cause if you guys don't like it, I don't want your hubby on my butt. :eek:)

---
Wendy

Side question: Wendy: where did you get the plastic molding (ie brand/place?) How do you like it? Our dining room REALLY could use some crown molding but given the cost (and the fact that we could not DIY since we don't even have a hand saw LOL) I was considering the plastic stuff.

Candi said:
Side question: Wendy: where did you get the plastic molding (ie brand/place?) How do you like it? Our dining room REALLY could use some crown molding but given the cost (and the fact that we could not DIY since we don't even have a hand saw LOL) I was considering the plastic stuff.

We got it at Home Depot. ;) And it was pretty inexpensive compared to similar designs made of wood.

---
Wendy