• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has anyone had the pleasure ?

To bread Clown Fish.

I currently have two clown fish that laid a ton of little eggs for which they are both protecting.
Has anyone successfully bred and and kept the little ones alive for any extended period of time..
Is there anything I need to do like boil water or get the diapers ready.

Being an expecting step father, I am just curious.

??? ;D ;D ::)

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Satan's Milkman said:
To bread Clown Fish.

Actually we had a speaker at our Christmas social meeting 2 years ago on this very topic. He reccomended Italian style bread crumbs and frying in a light olive oil. :D ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can tell you all of what I know about it in about 5m, unfortunately. I had a pair that bred regularly until we upgraded our tank. Since then they haven't set down another set of eggs. We were never successful at capturing the hatched clutch though. They typically hatch somewhere between 10-16 days from lay down depending on your water temperature. They will lay down orange and then turn silver and you can see their eyes in the eggs. They hatch typically just after lights out. Shining a flashlight at the tank when they hatch you should be able to scoop some of them up, just make sure that you'd turned your pumps off before the hatching. Yeah, the timing of that was always a little too tricky for me, lol. After they hatch you need rotifers (another piece of the puzzle I never did master). My clowns would lay down eggs and 10 days later they would hatch. By day 14 they were laying down another batch of eggs. They were religious on their schedule until the tank move.

There. That's it. You now know everything I know about breeding clownfish.

Well in that case its sounds like I got a better chance getting a kangaroo burger at McDonalds then scooping up these buggers. I will turn one of power heads off to see if how that goes.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had only 2 babies after years of timing the eggs hatching. Couldn't get them out from under the rocks. They got eaten. If your serious about breeding. Keep them in a seperate tank with little rock and an airstone and some rotifers ready.