• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Have not seen my new firefish in 4 days

Hi

I have a 13 gallon nano tank that is 3 months old.

I bought a firefish and have not seen him in 4 days

He was out on day 1

But since then I have not seen him

I have 2 snowflake clowns

But they did not seem to bother him or care about him

Anyone have any thoughts.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Hi

I have a 13 gallon nano tank that is 3 months old.

I bought a firefish and have not seen him in 4 days

He was out on day 1

But since then I have not seen him

I have 2 snowflake clowns

But they did not seem to bother him or care about him

Anyone have any thoughts.
I also have a 13 gal nano with a firefish, a Springer damsel and a tailspot blenny- the firefish used to be visible all the time at first- now it hides in a cave with it's head poked out ( or not at all) comes out a couple of times a day to 'stretch' I wouldn't worry. Mine has also gotten picky with food- used to like frozen, now spits it out - prefers flakes with garlic- go figure- I wouldn't worry too much, But clowns could be part of the problem is there a way to section off the tank for a while

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
They can hid for a bit. Do you have a lid on the tank? If no, check around the tank...if you have a walking animal it could have been picked up

I also have a 13 gal nano with a firefish, a Springer damsel and a tailspot blenny- the firefish used to be visible all the time at first- now it hides in a cave with it's head poked out ( or not at all) comes out a couple of times a day to 'stretch' I wouldn't worry. Mine has also gotten picky with food- used to like frozen, now spits it out - prefers flakes with garlic- go figure- I wouldn't worry too much, But clowns could be part of the problem is there a way to section off the tank for a while

Crisp,

Where did you get the Springer Damsel? Been looking for one but nobody has them.

Thanks Crisp.

Dan.

My Firefish always hid in the rocks or a burrow underneath. Usually would come out only if I turned off pumps/all flow in the tank.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My Exquisite firefish will hide in his cave all day. Only time he comes out is to eat. He has always been that way. He was alone in the tank for a year before I added fish. It seems that is their personality to hide most of the time. I have seen threads on r2r of members complaining about the hiding.

Mine hides like 35% of the time as well but he’ll get used to the tank and will be out a little more..
just try to find it he may be in the most tiny place. Good luck