• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawaii bans collection of saltwater fish

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member

Marine fish can no longer be collected out of Hawaii, so if there is something you have an eye on get it soon as the prices on these are going to skyrocket. Yellow tangs are already over 200.

This is true. And some dealers have pushed their prices up accordingly. However, I bought an extra yellow tang at SeaLevel for $100 this past weekend (which was their old price). Ocean Gallery in North Plainfield still has a bunch of them as of yesterday. I think they may have been $120. There's still a large supply of yellow tangs right now so it'll take awhile for that to dry up, plus aquacultured ones will help it from getting way out of control.

The real issue will be for some of the other fish that only come out of Hawaii and aren't available aquacultured - flame wrasses, Achilles tang, Potter's Angel, Potter's Leopard Wrasse to name a few.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Insane, bought my very first yellow tang for $20. I know the closing of Hawaii is driving up prices but even before that, prices have just been steadily increasing.