• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawaii first state to ban shark finning

By AUDREY McAVOY, Associated Press Writer Audrey Mcavoy, Associated Press Writer – Fri May 28, 6:19 pm ET
HONOLULU – Hawaii has become the first state in the nation to ban shark fins.

Gov. Linda Lingle on Friday signed a bill prohibiting the possession, sale, trade or distribution of shark fins, which are used in pricey Chinese dishes.

Exceptions will be made for researchers who have obtained a permit from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources.

Lawmakers hope the new law will help prevent overfishing and extinction of sharks harvested for their fins.

Many Chinese consider shark fins to be a delicacy, served in high-end Chinese restaurants in soup and as fillets in gravy.

The bill passed the state Legislature earlier this year with broad support.

btw - i have gone to many a chinese banquet and unfortunately the fins of sharks are still popular.

would be great if the club could encourage our state to pass a similar law for NJ.

It is a start,now if the rest of the world would wake up and ban it one of the most cruel practices might end . I would love to cut the arms off of consumers and fisherman who demand and supply the fins and watch them slowly sink and die !

Its definitely a step in the right direction, although I doubt everyone will respect the laws. The move the cove comes to mind when I think of examples. (Japanese dolphin fleets)

I live at the jesrey shore and I have seen this first hand. When I was younger we had a newspaper called the Leader which i worked for. Anyway one day we recieved a call stating that a shark had washed up on the beach. I jumped on my bicycle and peddled over to where the shark was to take some pictures for the paper.

The shark was fined and still alive getting tossed around in the surf, a brave swimmer went over to grab the shark and try and prevent it from being thrashed which he managed to do. We then called jenkinsons aquarium to see if they could take the shark but there was nothing they could do but kill the shark.

Anyway it was tough to see a helpless shark fined. They should have eaten the whole shark instead of just keeping the fins and tossing it back into the ocean. What a waist of meat and a hartless act.

I give them alot of credit for what they do, theyre the only ones with balls to give up everyday life and go live on a boat in the artic ocean.