• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawaii harvesting of tropical fish for aquariums approved

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Nice, would be great to see a drop in price on yellow tangs. Although i have been eyeing up the biota ones. Glad we were able to still figure out how to breed them. Cool stuff.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
*starts making a list of fish to buy* hahahahaha

Salted

NJRC Member
Somehow they just never really did anything for me. Recently got a mimic eibli tang that I’ve been looking for for about a year. Really liking it.

Seeing a lot of posts recently about relatively cheap yellow tangs. But are those wild caught or the Biota ones? The Biota ones have always been between $100-200 though spiked a little when the Hawaii first went into effect. Yes, it’s great that there’s captive bred option for these fish. But the adult colors for the Biotas tend to be muted compared to adult wild caught yellows. Just know what you’re getting when you jump at that $150 small yellow tang - it’s probably a Biota (at this time) and isn’t really that great a deal.

The most interesting fish for me that’s coming back is the Potter’s Angel. Gorgeous fish, and is relatively reef safe (as much as any pygmy angel is). Now if we can only get Potter’s wrasses, flame wrasses, and Achilles back…

Last edited:

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I agree I don’t think we’re going to see a price drop right away and may never see them as cheap as they were before the ban. My guess it may take at least until the first of the year before the market is flooded enough to see a significant price drop.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
This is a good move. We always said leave the Achilles in the ocean - it has such a poor record of survival in captivity. Same goes for Hawaiian Flame wrasse. The most they live is 18 - 24 months.
On the other hand - yellow tangs are hardy and add a lot of character to the tank. It would be good to have them back in the hobby for a reasonable price.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Honestly if a fish is captive bred then I don't see the rationale for allowing wild caught specimens in the trade. If it comes down to cost that I would say stick to freshwater. $150 investment for a fish you should have for 20 years to me is reasonable. If you don't want to spend $150 on a fish because you will kill it with poor caretaking that is your issue. Most of the fish on their list are not just endemic to Hawaii so really in terms of adding species diversity this is a big nothing.