• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Heater issues?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Hey guys,

I have a heater question.

I'm on my second heater on my 55g. This one is starting to do exactly what the first one did.

I have the dial set to about 72 degrees. My tank was at 84 this morning and the heater was still on. I can thump it with my finger and it turns off, but then it turns back on again. It hasn't been dropped or damaged, but the only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the salt (never had this problem with my freshwater tanks).

Any thoughts? I have bought 2 heaters @ $30-40 for 200watters (LFS) and i don't know what the deal is.

Thanks!

damon

Welcome to my world Damon! I seem to be the king of heater failures. You have the same problem I see all the time. The heater comes on but fails to turn off. This is the reason I always suggest using 2 (or more) smaller heaters then one big heater. So in the event of a heater failure you don't "toast" the tank as fast and have a chance at seeing the higher then normal temps before the tank is destroyed.

I've tried just about every different brand of heater I've ever seen and can't recommend one over any other. The only thing I've found to work is to use an external controller as mott768 suggested. With a good quality external controller the "failed" (in the on position) heaters are still usuable.

Carlo

That would be a most excellent way to do it. You'll also have a lot of other functions available with the AquaController too.

Another option is an alarm. I forgot how much I paid for it, but it has a thermometer piece that goes in the water; other than displaying the time and temperature if the temperature goes below a certain level or above a certain level, the alarm goes off.