• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Heater Malfunctioning any Tests?

Think my Stealth submersible heater is malfunctioning. Any certain way to test it??
I noticed last night my main tank rose to 89, at least I caught it, no damage, have the heater in a 5 gal pail now. Before I buy a new one, is their anything that is standard, like unplugging it for a reset??? Was gonna post in non emergency but have to eather replace or not immediately!
Thanks GregH

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Replace it. Even if you getting working again it is only a matter of time before it goes out again. Replace it now and be done with it.

Throw it out or else get screwed over like I did and lose everything in a system. Figures all the SW fish died and only the cheapo mollies and guppies survived.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree that controllers are the way to go to set up a heater. However a Ranco or anything else won't do a bit of good for a broken heater.

panmanmatt said:
I agree that controllers are the way to go to set up a heater. However a Ranco or anything else won't do a bit of good for a broken heater.

the ranco will shut of power to the heater if the temp rises above a certain level

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes it will, but if the heater isn't shutting off do to a short in it, then every time the controller kicks it on there is going to be current or something in the water. They can stop a heater from overheating a tank but that is all.

Controllers are a great thing, I use them myself. But you can't tell if a heater is broken or not with a controller. They also have their drawbacks just like everything else. Now if after he replaces the heater then it may be worth getting a controller for it.

panmanmatt said:
Yes it will, but if the heater isn't shutting off do to a short in it, then every time the controller kicks it on there is going to be current or something in the water. They can stop a heater from overheating a tank but that is all.

Controllers are a great thing, I use them myself. But you can't tell if a heater is broken or not with a controller. They also have their drawbacks just like everything else. Now if after he replaces the heater then it may be worth getting a controller for it.

agreed, 100%.