• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Heater Poll

Pre-Set vs. adjustable Heaters

• Like Pre Set heaters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dis-Like Pre set heaters

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Like adjustable heaters

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Dis-Like adjustable heaters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Just wondering how everyone feels about pre-set heaters. Please comment what you like or don't like about them.

I've had Eheim, fluval, aqueon and other brand name heaters and I've had problems with all of them. Before that, i used cheap ebay heaters on my old FW tanks and never had a problems with them. Dead accurate. I still have them 3 years later. One is in my mixing container and the other on the QT. They're the only ones I never had problems with.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have had good luck with the eheim.
I have 3 x 300 in my system and one in the mixing station it’s only a few $ more but I think it’s better quality.

Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTN9R2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_9Gl7FbJTD91K2
I had one explode within a month of purchase. Thank God it was in my mixing container. I've seen a lot of people having similar luck with them. Just overpriced garbage. It was a huge problem about a year ago.

No matter the heater. I am a firm believer in a controller. I use the ink Byrd but suppose any dedicated controller on top of what ever your heater is capable of doing is the way to go. To much a stake with the heater. Just can’t skimp there and since there dosent seem to be a heater out there that is Universally trusted I say the more layers you put in there to protect your system the better

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
No matter the heater. I am a firm believer in a controller. I use the ink Byrd but suppose any dedicated controller on top of what ever your heater is capable of doing is the way to go. To much a stake with the heater. Just can’t skimp there and since there dosent seem to be a heater out there that is Universally trusted I say the more layers you put in there to protect your system the better

This is the way. All heater will fail a controller is what matters.
I use the ink bird and apex to monitor
My temp and heaters.

erics210

NJRC Member
i still have that monster heater MadReefer gave me first time we met his your house meeting that snowy December. I use for my water change water, as it adjust temps if you look a t it the wrong way. so unpredictable but sure can get the water hot quick. just need ANOTHER controller for that one at some point.
Its the old old style.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I ALWAYS had eheim. for the new tank though, the eheim would not fit, so I got 2 300w finnex titanium heaters and 1 500w. I have them all hooked up to apex. the 300w are working in 12 hour shifts, and the 500w is just a backup. so far so good. ill get new 300w heaters next yearq again just to play it safe

Have Eheim with inkbird with no problems as of yet, heaters are close to 2 years too. The built in thermometer doesn't match up with the real temp, it was off a few degrees but being adjustable, was a easy fix. Now I'm using the wifi inkbird so its too early to tell, but only 1 heater is plugged in now as the other is for a chiller/fan. If the temp drops below 76, the phone will alert me and the backup heater should kick in at 76 independent of the inkbird.

with all the cool new tech constantly coming out for the hobby, you'd think we would have way better and more durable heaters, seeing as to how its arguably one of the most important piece of equipment in this hobby.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
with all the cool new tech constantly coming out for the hobby, you'd think we would have way better and more durable heaters, seeing as to how its arguably one of the most important piece of equipment in this hobby.
Agree, and why can't they be more compact?

I bought like 20 300 watt heaters from eBay. so far only 1 has stopped working. That was in my turtle tank and because it wasn't raised off the floor and wasn't cleaned.

the heater failed in the off mode.

I've given a few of those heaters away but still have a good number.

I also bought a couple of inkbirds for good measure.