• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hello

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey chase,

210_28_02_07_8_35_10.gif

To NJRC!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Chase, welcome to NJRC! Why don't you tell us a little about yourself and your setup?

Thanks all for the warm welcomes. I have kept freshwater fish for many many years and had a saltwater tank about 10 years ago. Started researching reef tanks about 6 months ago and began setting up a 120g tank about three months ago. I built a sump out of a 40 gallon breeder. The first compartment houses an AquaC EV 180 skimmer. The second section is the return section and the third houses the fuge. Water from the fuge flows into the return section where a mag 18 pumps water back into the tank. I setup a pipe to divert flow back into the return section in case the 18 was too powerful but it isn't and I keep the valve closed. Maybe I'll use it to feed a phos reactor, a UV sterilizer or something in the future. I purchased 100 lbs of base rock from Marco rocks which I love and another 65 lbs of live rock. There is a Tunze Nano 6045 in the tank and I expect to receive two koralia 4's tomorrow if I'm lucky. Pray for the fedex man :D.
Currently my tank is cycling and I expect to be able to add a small cleanup crew this weekend. Last I checked, two days ago, the nitrites were down to .25 and the nitrates were 20 but looked as if they were nearing 10. After six months of preparing I'm almost there.

chase33 said:
Thanks all for the warm welcomes. I have kept freshwater fish for many many years and had a saltwater tank about 10 years ago. Started researching reef tanks about 6 months ago and began setting up a 120g tank about three months ago. I built a sump out of a 40 gallon breeder. The first compartment houses an AquaC EV 180 skimmer. The second section is the return section and the third houses the fuge. Water from the fuge flows into the return section where a mag 18 pumps water back into the tank. I setup a pipe to divert flow back into the return section in case the 18 was too powerful but it isn't and I keep the valve closed. Maybe I'll use it to feed a phos reactor, a UV sterilizer or something in the future. I purchased 100 lbs of base rock from Marco rocks which I love and another 65 lbs of live rock. There is a Tunze Nano 6045 in the tank and I expect to receive two koralia 4's tomorrow if I'm lucky. Pray for the fedex man :D.
Currently my tank is cycling and I expect to be able to add a small cleanup crew this weekend. Last I checked, two days ago, the nitrites were down to .25 and the nitrates were 20 but looked as if they were nearing 10. After six months of preparing I'm almost there.

Don't worry, the work pays off. I was just staring at my tank for about 30 minutes under the moon lights and had to pull myself away!