• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help Clowns fight

Just got a rbta couple hours ago, I have 2 clowns. A gsm and true perc, both wild caught. The perc is more aggressive when I feed them but otherwise they get along. As soon as I place the rbta in the tank, the maroon clown dove right in. It surprised me as I thought the perc would host it first, the perc left the gsm alone with the rbta for 3 hours but now he's hanging aroung the rbta and picking fights with the gsm. Is the fight for the rbta? What should I do? Get another rbta? TIA, vincent.

how big is the tank?

i didn't think keeping two species of clownfish was a good idea unless the tank was large. The reason why they didn't fight previously is as you noted - the bta was introduced.

It's like neither had an apartment to live in and you introduced only one hence the aggression displayed.

You could try adding another bta - but unless you are really attached to the fish, may consider removing one (again without knowing how big your tank is).

Gee - where are my manners....

WELCOME to NJRC!!!

I'm honestly not sure what to advise...would like to hear from others who have kept more than one clown species to chime in.

I think maybe you should pick the one you like best and put the other up for adoption. I had a GSM and 2 false percs together in a 180, all was fine for 3 months and then it got ugly. Torn dorsals, tails and just constant fighting. The maroon had to find a new home

I was thinking the same but the GSM always back down and runs away from the perc before, I have never seen my GSM fight back like this tonight. Looks like it calm down now, I like watching clowns host anemones hence the reason y I got the rbta. I would give up the GSM if the perc would host it. Also since we talking about clowns, what would be the best way to get a mate for my perc.

wait until the perc gets bigger and then get a much smaller subadult perc. They may pair up right away or the bigger one may just kill/harass the smaller one. If i had to wager - usually a GSM will win any battle against a perc...especially when that gsm grows.