• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help-Computers crashing

Help-Computers crashing
I have done everything that I know how to, Mcafee, adware, CCleaner, Spybot find nothing. Google search redirects me to a different site then that I clicked on.
Dell 5100/ Windows XP, Firefox. Shuts down some times within minutes or 15-30 minutes.
I believe some evil thing got in and is messing with it. System restore crashes.
Greg

Greg,

Combofix and Malware bytes is much better at removing nasty items..

You can send me a PM and I can help you if you need it, but in a nutshell.

Download Combofix http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe and MalwareBytes http://mbam.malwarebytes.org/program/random.phpand then boot into Safe mode (Keep hitting F8 while the system is booting at the Dell BIOS screen).

Rename Combofix.exe to Something.exe since many malware items nuke combofix.exe while it runs. Accept the defaults and let it run. It will reboot you, but during that reboot go into safe mode again.

Run Combofix.exe again to be safe. Then reboot into safemode a 3rd time.

Install Malwarebytes and run a scan. You will not be able to update the dat files since you are not online, but it should be fine.

There is a good how-to document on combofix here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Thank you guys, just got back on because of it crashing all the time, Im gonna try a few of these options, and really thanks for the phone number, let me see what i can do, on a scale of 1-10 i would be a 3-. aaaggg! shutting down message again!!!!!!!

Hope it helps.

Another suggestion I would have would be to download Mozilla's Firefox as a back up browser.

Sometimes, although probably not for this virus, the virus targets IE, so you can still browse using Mozilla fire fox.

Which allows you to access the online resources you need to clean up some of these nasty viruses.

Re: Help-Computers crashing - THANKS!!!!

Thanks Guys, im back, 2 trogens removed and no further signs of funny stuff. This sucked. Gonna DIP any new files and keep them in a Quarantine tank from now on.
Merv can not afford a apple at this time got to keep my dinosaur working.

Whitebird1 said:
Thanks Guys, im back, 2 trogens removed and no further signs of funny stuff. This sucked. Gonna DIP any new files and keep them in a Quarantine tank from now on.
Merv can not afford a apple at this time got to keep my dinosaur working.

What do you use as your dip? I haver an extra bottle of Levamisole for you to use if that's what you use. Also, make sure that the files are quarantined with a good amount of flow so that any parasites can be dislodged relatively quickly. Dips can be detrimental if it's on too long you know? Also, do you have a pic of the virus?

The 2 Trogens!!!!! ;D
spidercrab.jpg

TROJAN
A Trojan horse (sometimes shortened to trojan), is non-self-replicating malware that appears to perform a desirable function for the user but instead ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_
When I went for a glass of water I saw this for a split second peaking out of my tower, knew something got in!!!!!
55gallondrum.jpg

;D That was FUNNY!!
I now give merv his freedom, because if I took ownership, I would frag merve, make a bunch of little merves, glue them to frag plugs and offer them for 5 each, and the world is just not ready for that. ;D ;D ;D

( I think the reason that we have not been modded yet is that some are shaking their heads in disapproval at us kids, some, this must be new ??????, the rest are laughing their arxxs off like I just did)