• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help drilling my 150

Hello, I was hoping to find someone to drill my tank. I'm brand new to the hobby and have never tried it before. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Not that difficult as long as the glass isn't tempered. Knowing where you are located will help. There are a lot of people who like drilling tanks here :)

I'm actually in Staten Island, right Over the outerbridge. Unfortunately I can't find any glass place that will do it.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Huh? Glass places that won't drill glass? It's my opinion that if you've never done it before you should practice on something, I'd hate to see you ruin a 150 by accident. Who is going to volunteer to do it for him?

No its not curved glass. It's a regular tank, they won't drill it as a tank they want me to take it apart. I'm willing to bring it to someone and will gladly pay whatever they think is a fair price.

Last edited:
Find out if the glass is tempered.
If it's not, by a cheap 10 gallon tank and practice on it until you feel comfortable drilling the big boy. Let the drill do the work. Do not apply any pressure. When you're close to popping through, pull back on the drill a bit. I keep a garden hose running over the bit and glass. You must keep the bit and drilling area wet and cool.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Get an old tank and practice. I was afraid to drill until I drilled my first hole. It's much easier than I anticipated. BTW I use the ebay $10 drill bit too.