• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help!! Leaking pipes!

lPCQwoE.jpg
Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone can lend a hand in tightening these leaking pipes. I moved the tank a couple of feet and must have moved the pipes a bit too. Now they are leaking. They are the grey circular things in the pic. I think there's a type of wrench that can tighten it but i don't have those. If anyone can help out or even let me know what type of wrench i need, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They appear to be the bulkheads going into the bottom of the tank. You have to make sure that there is no tangential forces on these pipes....forces from the left or right. They need to "hang" straight down.

There's nothing touching them. I hand tightened them when i first set up the tank and everything was dry. I cant seem to tighten them now that there's a leak.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have a very simple wrench that came with a bulkhead kit I bought years ago. I still have it. It's a simple piece of metal and one size is for a 3/4" the other 1". I think it's an aqueon. You're welcome to try it if you want to make the drive. But it may not work for you since I see you have plywood pretty close to the bulkheads which may interfere with the wrench. If I were you I would replace the leaking one with a brand new bulkhead. The gasket may be not serviceable anymore even if you have a tool to tighten it. Keep in mind do not tighten the bulkhead too hard I have cracked a tank before albeit a 10g.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! The wood cut-out looks rather small. I think I'd try an adjustable vice grip.

If you need this, you're more than welcome to borrow. Let me know. I should be home all day tomorrow.

Thanks guys, i tightened them by using a flat head screwdriver and gently tapping it with a hammer. i placed a couple of sheets of dry paper towel on the bottom of the bulkheads to see if there are still any leaks. i will check it later tonight if it's still leaking.

I'll give you guys a call tomorrow if I still need the tool. Thanks again!!