• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help me choose my Tank Lighting Color

Which tank color do you prefer ?

• Tank 1 Color - Reeflux 12K MH bulbs only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tank 2 Color - Reeflux 12K MH bulbs + Giesemann Actinic + T5

• Tank 3 Color - Giesemann Actinic + T5 only

• Total voters

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
lightingwithT5.jpg

My choice would be the first option. MHs alone.

However, it's not quite that simple. The question is, what lighting do you like best?

Lighting is a very personal thing, and what one person likes is not necessarily what someone else would like. As long as your corals are getting enough light to grow well, any of the lighting schemes would be fine.

I cast my vote based on the photos and am running with the current majority.

I think the outcome would have been different with UV bulbs instead.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Bill,

I agree, if I were to use pure actinics instead of the Actinic Plus, the colors/tank would look very different

Anyone have 60" ATI Blue Plus, ATI Actinic or Giesemann Actinic Bulbs I could borrow to test this out?

Thanks,

Dan

I think everyone is going to vote for option 1, but it may be a little deceiving if your white balance or exposure is off. The brightness of our screen can also play a role in the decision. I have a funny feeling the colors really "pop" more in option 2 in real life so that's my vote.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
My white balance settings are the same for both 1 and 2 so that shouldn't be an issue but the way folks have their monitors set will definitely make a difference in the way the colors appear on them.

The colors definitely pop more in number 2 but the entire tank also gets washed out with blue color. I tried out the lighting with Actinics @ 460 nm bulbs instead and it seemed to blend everything in very well. I want to try the ATI Blue Plus bulbs. From what I have been told, they have just the right combination of Actinic and a richer blue color.