• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

help needed on Oceanic Tech 70Gallon overflow

I had a mag7 acting as the return pump from the refugium/sump to the display. Flow was decent, sound was loud but manageable but definitely not dead silent. I wanted to add a chiller, UV and phosphate reactor without adding additional pumps. So to do it, I upgraded the 70watt 700GPH to an Eheim 1262 at 80watts 900GPH. I also didn't want the heat load to increase. Now with the 1262 as the return with a T pumping to the main display return and feeding the chiller (suggested at 300-600GPH) which then outputs to the UV then the output from the UV is split with another T going into the sump and phosphate reactor. Problem here is that the Eheim is too efficient, flow to the return is crazy fast the built-in kinda durso is constantly gurgling and making sucking sounds. Second issue, my sock is no longer able to handle the volume of water is now allowing micro bubbles from the drain to get back into the return. Will changing the factory return pipe to a true durso fix the gurgle? With the microbubbles, I was looking at splitting the drain into two filter socks which should keep the bubbles from going to the return pump. Anyone have other suggestions?

you could always add a filter pad in your baffles to help with the micro bubbles if you could take a pic of the way you have it set up maybe my husband can help you out is your drain straight down or are you using elbows? If you add elbows it will help to slow the water down.

Thanks for the tip, hmm filter pads... good thought by they may clog over time and the baffle may raise the water behind the baffles. I'll look at that.

Here are pictures of the old setup to give you an idea. The only difference now is the change in pump and additional plumbing for the chiller, uv and phosban. I'll work on getting updated photos.

web.jpg

web.jpg

pitogo said:
Thanks for the tip, hmm filter pads... good thought by they may clog over time and the baffle may raise the water behind the baffles. I'll look at that.

Here are pictures of the old setup to give you an idea. The only difference now is the change in pump and additional plumbing for the chiller, uv and phosban. I'll work on getting updated photos.

web.jpg

web.jpg
We just change them ours out every couple of weeks

Check out this thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1310238&perpage=25&pagenumber=8
She has a 120 and they go through all the permutations of possible plumbing. Different options and there is a link in there somewhere on how to build a buffer for the durso(sort of like a silencer using different sized pipes. Sorry I cannot find the latter anywhere but nanogirl has two threads of 40 pages each. I plan on plumbing my tank like that. I just got a tech tank too...in part because I liked your tank...so thanks!!! ;D

is it gurgling because the elbow is sucking in air on the top? Can you show a pic of the top of your overflow?

if so then lowering the durso so the elbow remains below the water surface should help.

I had the same problem with mine, I solved it by slowing down the draining. I added a few 90's on the end of the drain pipe in the sump and the problem went away immediately.

How deep do you have the drain line under the water level in the sump? I found mine was making a gurgling and flushing sound because I had the drain line more than 5" under the water line in the sump, I cut it so it's only about 1" and all noises have stopped. Another thing that can cause it is if you have too strong of a power head pushing water towards the overflow (my friend had that problem)

as far as the filter pad goes, I had a problem with it clogging, the way I fixed that is bay leaving a 1/2" gap on either side of the pad.

I setup a true durso with 1.25" PVC and it works so much better. I bought all the parts at Lowes for a little over $6. Much much quieter, it still tends to gurgle siphon, every once in a while I would hear a big sucking sound then rush of water. I think it may be due to the size of the air hole I put in, its 1/8," so I'll work on reaming the air hole a bit further. When I first turned the system on I was listening and I couldn't believe how quiet it was, nor can I believe how quiet the Eheim 1262 is. The Sedra 3500 pump in the EuroReef RS-80 is much louder and the drain noises are also pretty loud but it is contained with in the stand so its not so bad.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.

It took me about 30 seconds to attach it to the tank and about 25 minutes of PVC cutting. I used 1.25" thin walled white PVC pipe, one slip fit 1.25" Tee, one 1.25' slip 90° elbow, one 1.25" cap and two short pieces of 1.25" straight pipe. I cut the Tee, the elbow and the cap about 0.5" for a tighter fit and I also used the original drain pipe as a template for its dimensions. The only piece I reused was the 1.25" to 1" single piece reducer to fit the slip fit bulkhead. In all it was an easy job.

JRWOHLER said:
Super thanks for the update!! How difficult was it to attach to the tank?