• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help on Selection ??

I am going in a different direction with my tank . I plan to not add any more sps and focuse back on my zoo,s,duncans and dendros . I have a nice area of sand (about 2" deep)in the center of the tank that I would love to add a anemone to . I would like one that is a bottom dweller and nice in color. It also must be a anemone that clowns like to host . There is adequate flow there and can be modified as necessary(2 vortech 40's in a 65 gal). Thanks for any suggestions and warnings, Paul

a rose bubble tip is a very pretty creature. the warning is: anemone position themselves where they like to be. you cannot force them to stay where you want them. he might not like the area of sand in the center of the tank.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A BTA will prefer to be high in the rockwork. I'd try for a carpet if you'd like something to position in the sand bed. Of course you can't necessarily pick their spot either!

My RBTA moved from bottom front, to upper middle, back to bottom front then finally decided to sit in the bottom in the back in front of the wavemaker in the sand on the bottom. Go figure.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You can look at a tube anem which prefers to be in the sand. All of our BTAs liked it better in the live rock where they can hide their foot in a cave. PM Blange, I know he has a sand dwelling anem.

I have BTA's and Ritteri's. If it has to stay in the sand, these guys won't do it for you. They like the rock.

+1 on the carpets, but they do get big.

Here is a few more tidbits on Anemone's for you.

http://www.nhm.ku.edu/inverts/ebooks/intro.html

I have both carpets and bubble tips. Carpets tend to get big and mine likes very little flow. I had to set up a separate tank for the carpets.... I find it makes it easier to maintain them.

p1940133.jpg

p1943699.jpg

Thanks all for the info,links and suggestions . I guess it will be a carpet. I cleared a large area of floor/sand space for it . I also removed my school of chromis. I have decided on the bright green carpet because I like the wa it makes clowns stand out . Now to find a nice one ???

alternative thought - just add a small "island" piece of LR in your sand area. A BTA could lodge itself just on the island - since they do not like the sand, it should remain there assuming water/light conditions are ok.

BTA may or may not host true perc/osc though - so if that is your choice of clown - you should be aware of that.

Here's an amazing pic of a tank with true percs and multiple clone of RBTA and GBTA. She added these clowns when they were babies (just after meta) to a grow-out tank that had a clone of the BTA. (it is a 220 gallon skimmed wet). She uses tunze powerheads and the return to ensure the clones all stay on the right side of the tank. Clones that move up the backwall are removed and sold. Pretty amazing...

RightDec2008.jpg

Is that pic from "27 clown 27 days" on reef central . If so it is an inspiration for a future setup . Best of both worlds,anemone tank on one side and a regular reef on the other . I keep checking that thread .

Do not expect a nem to stay where you put it. They find a place of there own. Lets say a happy place. They will wander where you dont want them to go.

qwik said:
Is that pic from "27 clown 27 days" on reef central . If so it is an inspiration for a future setup . Best of both worlds,anemone tank on one side and a regular reef on the other . I keep checking that thread .

yes her handle is mobert but she hasn't updated in a while.