• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help: Polyclad flatworm

A couple of weeks ago I was looking around my tank with a flashlight around 1 am and saw an unidentified hitchhiker. After more research, I think it is a a polyclad flatworm.

Here is a good video of one that a guy is releasing into his tank (the 2 minute mark looks exactly like what I saw in my tank).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpkKkkRdcSg

I haven't added anything new in over six months so I don't know how it got there.

I have read that they eat clams and snails. I haven't noticed any problems in my 29 gallon, but you never know.

My question / problem is do I get it out and if so how in the world do I catch it?

chime in with any ideas / experience please

Thanks
David

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry, David... I've never had one so I'm not sure how you'd remove it. Of course if you can see it that well it would seem that chopsticks or some sort of spear would solve your problem. I do know that hitchhikers can crop up months/years after the last rock went into your tank so that part surprises me the least.

Catching it would be easier if it ends up on a piece of rock that is easily removed from your tank. I've taken rock out and squirted it with fresh water in a turkey baster to help entice crabs and worms from rockwork before.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I guess the trick is finding it again. I have been looking each night with no luck.

It hasn't done any damage to anything that I can tell, so hopefully it will stay that way.

Thanks Again