• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help!!!! Psycho Yellow Tang

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Can someone near Old bridge help me catch a rogue yellow. I purchased a purple tang from Aquatic Obessions and the yellow tang is stressing the hell out of non stop. I nned him gone. Can someone help today?

You catch him... He is urs!!!!!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Edwin, I can't help (and don't need another tang), but if you come shortly you can borrow my fish trap. I'm leaving around 1:30 for a soccer game.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a fish trap on the left side with Nori......... For the last 3 days..... All the fish action is on the right. I move the trap and guess where the fish go:mad:

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Have you tried using a mirror to get the yellow towards the top so you can scoop it out?
. I only had a small mirror avaiable.. Im going to home depot after work to get 1'x1' ft mirrors to put up to get his attention more

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a fish trap on the left side with Nori.........

Use some food that is more appealing.....mysis shrimp always worked for me. And my trap has a small hole in the top that fits the turkey baster. Continually push water into the trap making the food look like a snow-globe. The fish sees all that food and swims right in.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Paul, Can you leave it on ur deck and i will grab it. wont be home till 6

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Well my wife reported that the fish found the mirror. The Coral beauty and Yellow are happily beating their reflection up, while my purple and Achilles swim around in bliss. So we might have a nice success story.

But the tang is still going in the sump!!!!! It was like World War 3 for most of the night....

Well my wife reported that the fish found the mirror. The Coral beauty and Yellow are happily beating their reflection up, while my purple and Achilles swim around in bliss. So we might have a nice success story.

But the tang is still going in the sump!!!!! It was like World War 3 for most of the night....

Edwin, when did you add the yellow. When I added a yellow to my system my kole gave him a good beating for about 1 day. Then it was over. The yellow was red and yellow for a few days and all is well now. Before moving the yellow I would see how the mirror goes.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Edwin, when did you add the yellow. When I added a yellow to my system my kole gave him a good beating for about 1 day. Then it was over. The yellow was red and yellow for a few days and all is well now. Before moving the yellow I would see how the mirror goes.

The yellow was an "OG". ( original fish). The Achilles and the purple were added yesterday

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
In line with my Avatar.... tHE yellow is a "habitual line stepper" He attacks anything new and scared my Copperband to death (kept it pressed up in a corner and stressed it till it died). So honestly im done with him. I have high plans for fish additions and a 10 dollar fish is not worth the headache or stress of killing higher end fish like the Achilles, Purple and eventually......... some day..... a Gem or Black tang..........

IMHO of course

The yellow was an "OG". ( original fish). The Achilles and the purple were added yesterday

Oops meant when did you add the purple.

In line with my Avatar.... tHE yellow is a "habitual line stepper" He attacks anything new and scared my Copperband to death (kept it pressed up in a corner and stressed it till it died). So honestly im done with him. I have high plans for fish additions and a 10 dollar fish is not worth the headache or stress of killing higher end fish like the Achilles, Purple and eventually......... some day..... a Gem or Black tang..........

IMHO of course

Nuff said.

Your best option is to keep the YT in a quarantine for a few days...and move some of the rock work around so when you return him to the tank.. he is isn't used to the environment. An alternate option is to trade your YT with someone else's tang... this way.. the new tang will be new to the tank as much as the newly acquire PT.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That blasted fish is coming no where near my trap... LOL

That blasted fish is coming no where near my trap... LOL

LOL. Have you tried shutting off all light in the room for a few hours(including moonlights) then come back in & turn on every light possible. it should disorient the fish & make him easy to catch. of course this is only something I've heard, never tried. but hell why not :)

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Edwin maybe try catching the fish a few hours after the lights go out. Some fish get a bit lethargic then and may be easier to catch. Keep all lights out on the tank and in the room if possible and use a flash light for yourself to see.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
sorry to report the yellow tang is dead. i believe the purple has claimed the throne of king zebrosama. I know to stay away from the species. now all my tangs are hanging around like family.
Current fish are:

My tangs are Purple, Achilles, Hippo, Blonde Naso

2 rhombiod wrasse

Dwarf Coral Beauty Angel

sorry to report the yellow tang is dead. i believe the purple has claimed the throne of king zebrosama. I know to stay away from the species. now all my tangs are hanging around like family.
Current fish are:

My tangs are Purple, Achilles, Hippo, Blonde Naso

2 rhombiod wrasse

Dwarf Coral Beauty Angel

Well at least the problem is solved. Sorry to hear about the yellow.