• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HELP save a tank and a memory.....

I don't know where to post this thread so I'll start here and if it needs moved somewhere else mods feel free to do so.
I moved from NJ to Cleveland 2.5 years ago, prior to that I was pretty active on this board trading frags fish etc. I loved the NJ community, and miss how great everyone was. That is why I turn to you all looking for some help. While I lived in NJ I maintained my Dad's tank and helped him keep things going. He got sick with cancer about a year ago and the tank became the only thing he could really and enjoy for a while. After a valiant battle the cancer finally won in April. Since then the tank has gone neglected other than a random water change and feedings. My Stepmother wants to get rid of it, but I would really like to adopt the fish and tank here at my house in Ohio. Due to all the trips back and forth over the last year I can't afford to take any more time away from work or my family to go get the tank. I know it's a long shot, but can anyone help with this? I am open to suggestions for shipping or if there is by some stroke of luck someone traveling east I can meet you and of course give you something for your time and gas. Nothing exotic in the tank and it is a simple Fish only setup, but none the less I would like to keep it going in his memory. Thanks in advance.
-John-

Hi John first really sorry about your dad I lost my dad 8 years ago to that horrible disease so I know what you are going through
Although I don't make it to Ohio have you priced out any moving company's it would probably be your best bet

Hi John first really sorry about your dad I lost my dad 8 years ago to that horrible disease so I know what you are going through
Although I don't make it to Ohio have you priced out any moving company's it would probably be your best bet
I have thought about that, but the cost of shipping everything is about at much as it would cost to replace it all. I just started building the room for my Tank here, I can probably just have the fish shipped here and put them in my tank. If there is still a reputable fish store near Brick maybe they could help package and ship the fish. I ultimately would like to have the tank too and keep it more as a tribute tank when I can get time to bring it here.

Sorry for your loss, may I suggest you take some key smaller components that are shippable for the memory aspect and donate the larger stuff to some one in need (like a child), in your fathers memory...

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Very sorry for your loss. Maybe try uship.com people "bid" on shipping your load and you can usually find some pretty good deals. Hopefully you will be able to find something.

Hi John,
First, I am so sorry for your loss.
We recently shipped a fish to Hawaii. It was almost $300 to ship one fish.
How many fish do you have?
FedEx is the best bet, priority overnight.

Just an FYI. I bought my replacement yellow spot fairy wrasse from Florida. It was about a. 100 bucks for transport. I'm in howell. I dont know if i can help but ask and we will see.

how many fish/ rock and other livestock?

5 fish, about 50lbs of Live rock and whatever snails and crabs are still alive since I was there last.

U can drive there amd back in one weekend.
I've done the round trip in a day, it sucks but it can be done. I just don't have an open weekend I can do it until Christmas.
Where in Ohio John?
Chardon, about 50 miles east of Cleveland about 10 min north of rt80.