• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help setting up my Calcium Reactor

I need some help setting up my DIY calcium reactor. I can't seem to get the regulator adjusted right. Any volunteers?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you explain the symptoms I might be able to offer some input.

We use our ACII to control the regulator though. We let the PH of the effluent determine when to turn on/off the CO2 so the PH is a constant. For us it is more an issue of figuring out what the effluent rate should be rather than what the bubble count should be, so we may not be a whole lot of help.

Well, every thing I've read says that the output gauge should read about 10psi. I can't seem to get the gauge to read that. I thinking my gauge is bad. It looks like it's pinned at the other end. Also, When I open the valve on the CO2 tank, I get CO2 escaping from the side of the regulator, which is probably a relief device.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There's a knob that should control the output pressure. Does that have any affect at all when you turn it?

Phyl said:
There's a knob that should control the output pressure. Does that have any affect at all when you turn it?

I have a Milwaukee regulator. There is a black knob that you turn. When it's turned all the way in (closed), the co2 shoots out the side of the regulator. When it's open, I can't adjust the gauge to 10 psi. Like I said, the gauge looks pinned like it's overpressured. Even now, that I've unhooked the regulator, the output gauge does not read zero.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The guys at the welding supply places are usually WONDERFUL about helping out with straightening things like that out (I probably wouldn't try that at Air Gas). It does sound like something's wrong with the reg. If you can chat with the manufacturer they might be able to tell you over the phone/email what you need.

what are the PH levels that you use for turning on/off the CO2 when measuring the effluent? what drip rate should i start out with for a 260 total water volume?

C

concept3

the ph monitor and controller will turn off the power that the CO2 solenoid is plugged into. i heard from others that a pH setting closer to 6.6-6.8 is adequate. Anything over 7 will not dissolve the media, as it is neutral.

i don't have a pH controller yet, so i setup my bubbles at 50-70/minute and water drips at about the same rate +/- 15 drops. I have an SPS tank, so the demands are a little more than normal. My tank pH is around 8.1 during the day as I have recently tested, a little below the NSW levels of 8.3 No ill effects to the corals, but I'm starting to think that's the reason why they are a little more pastel than the same corals in another person's tank.

My 5 lb tank last about 6-8 months and I probably go through about 10-12 lbs of Korralin media/year. The ARM media I used to have always turned to mush after 5 months. I have a K2R reactor

I just set my reactor up yesterday, I also have a Milwaukee regulator and I can't get the psi down to 10 where it suggests it should be, if I open the knob on the front of the regulator all the way open the lowest psi I get is 40 and I get no bubbles in the counter if I turn it in some I get bubbles but psi goes up to 45..... is that normal?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As for the PH read the media container for instructions on that. I'm pretty sure that the ARM suggests a PH between 6.8 and 7.0 in order to prevent the "mush media" problem that some people experience.