• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help with Clam

I woke up this morning to find my clam looking like this help
All my parameters are good.

clam1.jpg

clam2.jpg

clam3.jpg

calaxa said:
FW dip him or find out who's been nipping at him.

I learned my lesson the hard way with fw dipping things. the only thing i can think is i moved him to the top of the rock closer to the top of the tank for a day and woke up this morning to him looking like this

You didn't hurt his....what is that muscle they have to attach with? Forgot what it's called and too lazy to look up.

calaxa said:
You didn't hurt his....what is that muscle they have to attach with? Forgot what it's called and too lazy to look up.

i dont think so. i know my pepermint shrimp is pecking at him though i think he may be a gonner

Well either you hurt him or there is something that is causing him to die. The peppermint should not attack him unless he is already in trouble.

I had a similar problem with my clam. Looked like my Starry Blenny was nipping at him. Moved him a few times. Someone then mentioned it looked like he had pinched mantle. I gave mine a freshwater dip, did not seem to make a difference. So I let time go by and next thing I know it was back to normal. Not sure what was the problem to begin with, but it's doing great now. It's a mystery to me.

Hope it works out for you,, looks nice a really nice clam.

Mike, wasn't your Maxima attached to something? Did you rip its byssal threads when you moved it by any chance? Peppermint shrimp (usually) leave healthy tissue alone, so if they're picking at it, that's a bad sign. How's it doing today?

You said you learned the hard way about FW dips. Does that mean the stonies died on you? You can FW dip a clam without having a heart attack.

JerseyWendy said:
Mike, wasn't your Maxima attached to something? Did you rip its byssal threads when you moved it by any chance? Peppermint shrimp (usually) leave healthy tissue alone, so if they're picking at it, that's a bad sign. How's it doing today?

You said you learned the hard way about FW dips. Does that mean the stonies died on you? You can FW dip a clam without having a heart attack.

actually the stonies are starting to come back LOL except for one he's not a skeleton but he still doesnt have any polyps out yet. as for the clam he was just sitting on the sand not attached. I moved hom up closer to the light and this is what he ended up looking like. he doesnt look any better today but he still has color

Healthy clams attach themselves to something, using their byssal gland. Do you have any half shells of clams? Many people put that under their clams, so they attach themselves to it, but it's still easy enough to move them if you have to. Are you saying it was just "lying" on the sandbed and had never used its byssal gland? (The byssal gland is the foot of the clam)

At this point I would inspect it very closely to see if you can spot any pyramidellid snails.
http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/identify_rissoid_pyramidellid_snails.php

I'd also do a FW dip, if it's pinched mantle, it "could" help.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/tridacnidfaq.htm

he was sitting up in the sand, but really never attached he would just move himself around. i checked for pyramid snails and didnt see any. i wonder if moving too close to the light had anything to do with it, cause that is when he started looking like that

What exactly is wrong with him besides being closed up. I also have one and am wondering if he is doing OK while i am standing here. Where would be the best placement for them is sand OK and do you have to feed them on a regular basics. Hope he gets better. I recently pulled mine away from a rock not knowing that they also attached. :(

SW Guy,

A clam should be opening up on a daily basis. If he isn't opening up within a day or two, something is definitely wrong. The fact that a peppermint is bothering him shows that there is some necrosis happening. I would say 99.9% of pep shrimps will not go after a healthy clam even if desperately hungry.

A maxima and crocea clam will prefer to be on a rock, attaching with their byssal gland. However, most hobbyists will instead put them in the sand for easier relocation if needed. They are fine on the sand as they are able to eject the sand if it becomes too annoying. Croceas will have a tendancy to burrow though and can find themselves pretty far down in the sandbed. You should not have to feed a clam unless it is a small specimen (less than 3"). If you have one like that, supplemental feeding is recommended.

Hirobo,

Have you deduced what went wrong with the clam? Do you think you hurt him when you moved it or something else? Clams usually don't spontaneously die so was he withering away slowly from pests, etc?