• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hemenway Reefer 170

This build has already been quite the experience, let me tell you! We bought the tank/setup in November, and it only just had water put in last night.
IMG_20191223_162426.jpg

So the story goes: we bought the tank and various pieces of equipment from Aquarium Care Center in November. They gave us great prices on everything, and have pretty much been super helpful every step of the way. It took just shy of 3 weeks for the tank to come in, which we very patiently waited (...aka I called them every week until it was there). They wound up not having the return pump in stock, so we waited another couple weeks for that to arrive.
Finally, it's in. The husband picks it up, brings it home, we go to set up the tank, and BAM.... there's a chip in it. /sigh.
Screenshot_20191213-080933 (1).png

Aquarium Care Center was great. They got in touch with Red Sea to get us a replacement, but after a few days, I hadn't heard from Red Sea, so I gave them a call. Apparently they were having some sales force team meetings, so no one was really around. The customer service rep I spoke to eventually got in touch with the regional rep, and they sorted everything out with a supervisor. I had called on a Thursday, and within 11 days, we had a brand new tank delivered no charge, and they don't want the damaged one back. I considered fixing and keeping it for future use, but we don't really have storage space. It's just one panel affected, so I think we are going to sell it. (Anyone interested??)
So the end of the backstory is that the tank was delivered intact yesterday, and by the time I was home from work, the husband had it mostly filled with water. The sump isn't ready yet, since he is attaching some weirs in order to have a refugium. That will take probably a week to fully cure, so we are looking probably at a New Year's full birthday! =]
I'm planning on cycling with a firefish and Dr. Tim's One and Only. I know that a fish cycle tends to be frowned upon, but I'm not worried. I'll keep a very close eye, and have water ready in case I start to get ammonia readings. The fish police are almost as bad as the keto police, man.

As for equipment, here's what we are working with at the moment:

Tank/stand: Red Sea Reefer 170
Light: ReefLED 90 w/ bracket
Heaters: I dunno, something leftover from our previous tank
Powerhead: Ecotech Vortech MP10 (1) - intending to get another shortly. Will have Hydor Koralia 850s or 1350s on standby
Protein Skimmer: Bubble Magus Z5
Controller: Neptune Apex Classic

Planning on the following fish:
Firefish
Lawnmower Blenny
Goby/shrimp pair
2 Clownfish (either Maroon or Clarkii)
Mandarin (probably in a year or so)

Corals will likely be LPS and softies.

I think that's it for now. =]

Awesome post. Best of luck. Keep them coming. Sorry for your problems but as fun as this hobby is. It is truly chock full of technical difficulties and challenges. Which in part may be what attracts some of us :) And as far as cycling with a fish. I’m won’t Tattletale to the fish police. But to be honest a cocktail shrimp will do the exact same thing. You can eat the rest of them. And no risk of fish problems. Truly a win win.

January Update::

The firefish and Dr. Tim's One and Only went in two weeks ago. Ammonia never went over 0.25 and it took close to a week to see any nitrites. The firefish did great, and as of last night, we are down to 0 nitrites! =]]
IMG_20200112_131036.jpg

So with the tank cycled, we are going to put away the API test kit, and break out the Hanna checkers we bought secondhand off some guy in South Jersey.

IMG_20200110_163842.jpg

I'm pretty pumped about them. At an old job, I worked as a water quality technician for a water treatment plant, so we were always using colorimeters for tests. I'm feeling nostalgic. =]
Anywho.. below are pictures from the (semi) completed sump. I think we are going to wind up moving the equipment to its own cabinet, but this is their home for now. We also have the Bubble Magus Z5 and the AI Prime Fuge light down there now. In the top down picture, you can see the chamber and weirs that my husband made for the refugium.
IMG_20200102_084120_830.jpgIMG_20200105_094833_376.jpg

IMG_20200105_205133.jpg

Looks great. Very happy the fire fish survived his ordeal. So when do you think tank will be fully operational? And FYI. I like the Hanna checkers. When I used them I found them to be simple and consistent

What a crazy year it has been! The tank is doing fine. We were having pH issues presumably because the tank is in the living room, and I've been working from home since March. Lots of breathing happening all day. We tried running the air line out the back door for the skimmer, but it really only had minimal impact, and mainly just let bugs in the house, haha! Bulk Reef Supply finally got the kalkwasser starter package back in stock, so we've been working with that for a few weeks, and the pH is significantly more stable. The corals look way happier too.

We have 2 other issues that have been particularly annoying.
1. Aiptasia - kind of running out of options here. I've tried Aiptasia X (makes things worse), a filefish (ate corals), and peppermint shrimp (promptly destroyed by the flame hawkfish).

2. Algae? - I've been battling this for months now. I even got a completely new RODI system.
PXL_20201003_104140805.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm super open to them!

One thing I've noticed since I've been working from home is that my eyes are super sensitive to the blue light from the tank. I've been getting far too many headaches, and my eyes just hurt in general. I don't have any options to move the tank or desk into another room. I'm a bit worried about damage being done to my toddler's eyes as well. Has anyone dealt with this?

But all in all, we've been way luckier (smarter?) with this tank. The only casualty has been the firefish (sad) who somehow jumped and wiggled through the net at the top. Found him/her laying on top of the net.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The green algae looks like cyano which you can get red slime remover for (even though it is green). We are battling aiptasia too and it can be tough. We used F aiptasia and it is better then he other things out there but won’t completely eliminate it. Given you can’t use shrimp with the fire fis, look into berghia nudibranches or a copper and butterfly. Unfortunately once they are in your system they are likely to remain there.

The green algae looks like cyano which you can get red slime remover for (even though it is green). We are battling aiptasia too and it can be tough. We used F aiptasia and it is better then he other things out there but won’t completely eliminate it. Given you can’t use shrimp with the fire fis, look into berghia nudibranches or a copper and butterfly. Unfortunately once they are in your system they are likely to remain there.
Thank you! I'll look into those things. I've read conflicting opinions on things like Chemi Clean, so I wasn't sure how I felt about it.