• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Herbie Plumbing method

I used the search tool but only found a couple of people who were planning on using the herbie method.

Does anyone have any feedback or is located near Jamesburg who has a herbie drain running so I can take a look at it? I've been reading a lot on some of the other forums but wanted to know anyones personal experience with this.

I run a herbie with basement sump and I'm in Jackson. Works great.

This is exactly what I have done. All my plumbing is done I just need to add my gate valve somewhere, but I think I have to put it in the basement near the sump.

You have the standard 2 drain line method with 1 syphon and 1 emergency correct?

This is exactly what I have done. All my plumbing is done I just need to add my gate valve somewhere, but I think I have to put it in the basement near the sump.

You have the standard 2 drain line method with 1 syphon and 1 emergency correct?

Yes...one drain and one dry emergency. My gate valve is in the stand because its easier to do adjustments and monitor the water level in the overflow as is relates to the dry emergency. At times you will get slight fluctuations and will need to fine tune the level. If you had to do it from the basement, it might drive you crazy...:)

Last edited:
I actually used it in an old tank I had. I had dual overflows and I took out the return and made that the emergency. Put an oversized valve 1.5" on the 1" drain so it wouldn't restrict flow unless I wanted to with the valve. Then I closed it slightly until the water just started to seep down the emergency. Once that happened. It was completely silent. Unless something got stuck in the ball valve it would then cause more water to go down the emergency and cause noise so I knew something was wrong. I love the design. And i plan on using it on my next big tank. But Will use 3 drains per side. One as the valved one as the marker drain and one as a true emergency.

Make sure if you do this design that you have a way to remove the valve from the line, either with a threaded union or a quick connect Bc if you do like I did the first time and glue it all in and something gets stuck you will be cutting.

I did a ton of research on this method a few years back on reef central and there were over 200 pages of comments on this style.

Forgot to mention, in the drain with the valve in the upper end that has the horseshoe in the top of the U I put a threaded 1/4" valve (for ro line) to adjust the amount of air it drew in for the syphon also helped any slurping or water fluctuations

I used the 7 shaped drain. In the herbie method he used an upside down U the water lever was half way up the U but the open in was completely submerged. And I was using the air line to fine tune it.

I used the 7 shaped drain. In the herbie method he used an upside down U the water lever was half way up the U but the open in was completely submerged. And I was using the air line to fine tune it.

my error, I thought you were original poster...my drain is straight up and down, totally submerged deep in overflow with a strainer and tuning done with a gate valve.