• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Here I was worried about my fish with a CBS.. poor shrimpy

After a lengthy acclimation I released my new coral banded shrimp into the tank... he swam around a min and then found the large cave. Parked himself in there and seemed content.

I came back about a 1/2 hour later to see one of his long pincher legs on the sand!!! He was still in there, along with a large blue leg hermit, my red emerald crab (sorry I forget the correct name), and my 6 line peeking around... all looking guilty. I'm not sure who to blame at this point, I know the claw should grow back in time but I worry if someone picks off the other one he wont' be able to eat correctly etc.

Here I was thinking the shrimp could harm my fish....

It was probably the large blue hermit or the emerald crab. Both of them don't get along well with CBS. Actually most inverts don't get along well with the CBS. Most places/books tell you it should be the only shrimp in the tank but it's almost like it should be the only invert in the tank.

I hear a lot of different opinions on them but this has been my limited first-had experience with them.

Carlo

RIP Shrimpy, I hardly knew you...

Woke up this morning and checked the tank, Shrimpy was sitting on a rock looking fine. Came back after my lights kicked on and saw my large emerald crab sitting in the same spot, eating what was left of poor shrimp :( I feel just awful, I have no idea a emerald could/would catch and eat a CBS.

So this makes me wonder if I saw a glimpse of what might come. Could my fish be in danger? Come to think of it... about a month ago my husband calmly tells me "one of our fish is dying and the others are eating it" freaking out I run to the tank to see my smallest chromis missing 1/2 of his belly/tail and the others chasing him if he comes close (he's doing just fine now, I moved him to a hospital tank and he made a full recovery and is living in my 30g cube) anyways I've always heard about chromis turning on eachother so I assumed that was what had happened but now I wonder if it was the crab?

I thought I kept him well fed with scraps and shrimp pellets... maybe the shrimp was weak from shipping and/or sick and that's why he got picked off?

Just trying to decide if I should rehome my 2 crabs or what.

Thanks!!