• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

hermets

I'm considering taking out my hermits [mostly blue legged ones] they walk over some delicate corals and unintentionally kill them. anyone else have this experience? I have some snails and they are not a problem

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've always had the same problem. My hermits go in the sump whenever I catch them.

I have found it to be hit or miss with either. I have 2 blues and a red that are at least the size of quarters without their shell, and they don't agitate my corals, but they do whack any hermit I put in there smaller than they are. I call them the "hermit hit squad". They are responsible for the deaths of at least 15 hermits, and countless snails.

Now, I have a sally lightfoot crab in there that keeps the rocks pretty well clean. I did have an emerald in there helping him out, but the Midnight Marauder (stoopid gorilla crab) got him too. I tend to like the larger crabs now, more interesting to look at, and they don't indiscriminately murder anything smaller than them.