• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

High PH

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I've heard of people having issues with low PH but how about High PH. We did a test and it read about 8.4 or higher. Xenia grows like crazy in there but the rest of the corals look bleached out. Any Ideas? this is my buddy Ron's tank not mine.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think 8.4 is the end of the world, and I doubt that alone would cause coral bleaching (what kind of corals are bleaching?). Starting up a Ca reactor, which causes he addition of CO2 would increase the CO2 which would naturally lower the tank's PH. He may be doing too much dosing of either 2 part or kalk.

Tell us a little more about config and maybe we can offer some ideas.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
no reactors, no dosing. Just a DAS skimmer and water changes with RO DI water. Mushrooms, zoas and few digis, RBTA's are pink and very small (used to be red). it looks sad. If it was my tank I'd rip it apart and start over.

what type of salt are you using and what is the sg. some salts will raise your ph. you could also run some chemi pure to level out your ph.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
not ron your brother in law Ron a friend of mine with the 120. been doing lots more water changes and added more flow. Got more fish to pick at the rocks. things are getting better.