• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hippo with ICH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo like most people I recieved a hippo tang with ich. What do I do now? He is a very active swimmer and has been in the tank for less then a day. I feed mysis and nori to my tangs. Yellow and salfin. Unfortunately I don't have a QT tank to keep him in. What should I do from here to help clear him up?

killab443 said:
Soo like most people I recieved a hippo tang with ich. What do I do now? He is a very active swimmer and has been in the tank for less then a day. I feed mysis and nori to my tangs. Yellow and salfin. Unfortunately I don't have a QT tank to keep him in. What should I do from here to help clear him up?

Well the right answer you unfortunately already nixed.
You can give garlic and selcon.
Assuming the tank is reef you cannot adjust salinity.
You can try some of the "reef safe" cures or snake oils depending on your view like Rid Ick.

Someone told me if the tank has good parameters and the fish is eating well, it will eventually rid itself. It doesn't seem as if the fish is doing that bad. It's eating and swimming fearlessly. I find it hard to believe this will just vanish without any TLC. Also I've been hearing about dipping in freshwater of the same PH. What do you think of that?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have gotten rid of ich with just extra feeding dosed with garlic and selcon. I would not do the FW dip unless things really looked bad.

I would leave them alone and feed them. IMO if you chase them it's gunna stress them out. My hippos both had ick but between the cleaner shrimp/fire/coralbanded and the wrasse/goby combo it was gone within no time.

I did a fw dip and then checked him out. He appears to still have a lot of ich. i quarantined him in a Styrofoam cooler with airstones. I'm gunna treat him with copper I think. Can I get away with keeping him in this cooler with daily waterchanges?

Your not gona help the problem if your stressing him out. Hippo tanga are like magnets for ich I use garlic power and AminOmega both from brightwell aquatics and my hippo fought it right off.

I got him in qt. Treating with copper now. I plan to keep him in for about a month in QT. I also picked up garlic extract to dose his food and display tanks food. Both temps in both tanks are 81.5 degrees.

Will this completely get rid of it? If stressed again will it have the ability to come back? I know they carry it by nature but I'd like to never see it again lol

I cannot imagine that being a good situation. :(
Sorry just not right to be honest go get a tank for QT and try your best that way.

If it is in your DT tank then you will likely end up with it again as the fish will be stressed.

killab443 said:
I did a fw dip and then checked him out. He appears to still have a lot of ich. i quarantined him in a Styrofoam cooler with airstones. I'm gunna treat him with copper I think. Can I get away with keeping him in this cooler with daily waterchanges?

You need to go out an actually set up a small QT for yourself, not a make shift QT... Always have to be ready with a QT just incase if one of your fish in your tanks were to get sick or stressed out.

I'd go out buy a 20g for like 40 bucks, filter if you don't have one already, and Biospira.

Ich is a very big PITA!! If the Hippo showed signs of Ich in your DT, then there will most likely be Ich in your DT and your other fish may or may not become infected. Here is a write up from another site I belong to that will tell you verything you've ever needed to know about Ich.....

Ich has a multiple stage life cycle of approx. 2 wks at tropical aquarium temperatures [77-80 degrees] during which time the parasite undergoes 4 phases:

1. The trophont stage is seen as the mature parasite attached to the fish, feeding off fish tissue. This has the appearance of salt-like grains often described by hobbyists as white spots or white dots, thus the common name of the disease, “White-Spot Disease”. What the hobbyist is actually seeing with these white dots is a protective covering, or cyst, which the parasite creates over itself as a means of protection. Parasite defense mechanism! As the parasite feeds it will grow in size. It is this growth or varying sizes of the trophont that may confuse the hobbyist to think that the infected fish is suffering from some other malady [such as lymphocysts]. The visible distinction between Ich, and some other problem is usually numbers. Left untreated, ich will multiply on the fish and usually cover the body—fins and body alike. [cycle timeframe: aprrox. 7 day stage]

2. The tomont stage occurs when the trophont matures after having fed on your fish for around a week. At this point, the parasite, engorged and well-fed on your fish, detaches its protective cystic covering, leaves the host fish and swims in the water column for several hours until it can find a place in the aquarium to settle. It will then attach itself to a surface in the aquarium: Sand, live rock and, perhaps even the surface of rocks where coral is attahced, or even the aquarium glass, filters, whatever. Once settled the cells within the cyst begin dividing to form more parasites [up to several hundred]. [cycle timeframe: several hours]

3. The tomite stage, are the products of the parasite reproducing. They become free-swimming in the aquarium as theronts. [cycle timeframe, approx 4 days at 77-80 degrees water temp].

4. The theront stage of ich are free-swimming protozoans that must locate a host fish within several hours, or die trying. This is the stage when fish become vulnerable to infection. The infection is transmitted through the water column.

When can I kill ich?

Some ich can be killed while still on the fish with freshwater dips. The operative word here being only “some”. Freshwater dips will not cure ich . At best, it can be employed when a fish is so infected with parasitic cysts that serious consequence, such as eminent death, will likely occur if something is not done immediately.

Effective treatment, however, can not occur until the parasite has left the fish. Using hyposalinity as a treatment, the parasite is killed when the protozoa is in the tank, on a hard surface, during what would be the reproduction stage. The hypo-saline conditions kill the parasite at the tomont stage of the life cycle. In a copper treatment, the medication targets the infectious, free-swimming theront.

Why Should I Care About When the ICH can be killed, as long as it is Killed?
Because there is a common misconception that the protozoa can be killed as soon as treatment begins, and this is not the case. The hobbyist needs to understand the stages of this particular “bug” in order to eradicate it.

Also, always keep in mind that ich is an organism, its lifecycle is not going to be like clockwork in the sense that all parasites in your tank are going to be at the exact same stage simultaneously.

Most Effective Treatment
HYPOSALINITY is Osmotic Shock Therapy [OST]. O.S.T. places the infectors [ich] in an environment in which they cannot hope to survive while the host, (or infected fish) can. This remedy WILL NOT work in reef systems or invert tanks as it incorporates lowering the specific gravity of the entire aquarium to 1.009 SG or to 14-16ppt [parts per trillion] salinity---this SG/salinity being too low for inverts, LR or LS. Marine invertebrates have the same osmotic concentration as the surrounding water and if placed in hyposaline conditions they will likely die of osmotic shock. Likewise, this procedure should not be used on sharks/rays, only boney fish. The procedure, can, however, work very well in strictly fish-only set ups.

The method of lowering salinity/SG is simple: Over the course of 48-hrs, salt water in the tank is replaced with fresh RO or DI water in several, but small increments until a SG of 1.009/salinity 14-16 ppt is achieved. Maintain pH, as pH tends to lower in hypo-saline water; you need to maintain a pH which is safe for marine fish and consistent with the levels in the display/hospital tank. The best instruments to use for measuring specific gravity are refractometers or high-quality, lab-grade glass hydrometers. The reason these instruments are recommended is because of their precision and the need to be very precise in attaining therapeutic SG/salinity for the procedure. Never use plastic sing arm type hydrometers. They are basically useless for this procedure, and, really, they are so inaccurate that they should not even be used for routine salt water assessment either. As to the beneficial microbes you rely upon to provide natural filtration in your aquaria/QT, NOT TO WORRY! The bacteria colony will survive, the fish will be more than fine; Ich, however, will not survive. By lowering the salinity, you will also be lowering the osmotic pressure of the water. The parasites NEED high osmotic pressure to convert saline water into freshwater. All marine animals need freshwater as we do [these parasites are considered marine animals as well, BTW]. They just convert it differently, usually via their tissues. Reduce this necessary pressure and the ich will die. As a higher life form, the fish will do fine with this short-term treatment. Preference for this treatment of ich over copper is based on toxicity. Hyposalinity has no ill effects on fish during or after treatment, whereas copper is a toxin, and could have enduring negative effects on fish even following a successful treatment.

Maintain the 1.009 SG/16-14 ppt salinity in the tank for 3-4 wks AFTER no visible signs of ich are present with your fish. After that time, you can slowly, over the course of several [5-7] days, raise the salinity back to normal levell. Take longer raising the salinity then you did lowering it. If the fish are in a separate treatment tank, leave them there for 5-7 days after returning the salinity to normal levels. If the fish are well after this time, then move them back to the display.

Copper Treatment is highly effective when applied precisely and monitored closely. The drawbacks to copper, however, unlike hyposalinity, is that copper is a toxin---to both parasite, as well as your fish.

In this treatment, the hobbyist will use use [best choice] Cupramine which is manufactured by Seachem. You will also need a compatible copper test kit that will “work with” the copper. If you use Cupramine, then also select Seachem’s copper test kit.

You should always set up a hospital tank, never adding copper directly to your display. At all times, maintain therapeutic copper levels in the hospital, using the copper test kit daily. READ THE LABEL of your medication and follow the directions. Like hyposalinity, copper treatment requires precision. Not enough copper, and the treatment is ineffective. Too much copper, and the treatment could be lethal to your fish. Take care, be attentive.

The treatment course for copper is 3 weeks after you have attained therapeutic levels. Following treatment, you should leave your fish in the hospital tank for an additional week for observation.

What else should I do during treatment?

Continue common sense maintenance practices. That means water changes, water quality tests, etc. In this case, while treating, you will want to perform water changes that match the water in your QT. If your tank is under hyposalinity, then the water you change out, must also be at the same salinity/pH as the water you remove from the tank. Likewise, if you remove copper treated water, then the water you put back into the tank needs to be copper treated as well, at the the appropriate therapeutic level.

Copper can and damage the internal organs of the fish. Hyposalinity is actually easier on the fish in short durations...easier for them to dispose of salt. And all the rest that 9 posted is right on.

ds4x4 said:
I would leave them alone and feed them. IMO if you chase them it's gunna stress them out. My hippos both had ick but between the cleaner shrimp/fire/coralbanded and the wrasse/goby combo it was gone within no time.

I know most people dont like my suggestions on ICH but i hear horror stories of people tearing their tanks apart stressing ALL the fish out just to end up losing the fish that had the ICH in Copper treatment. Mine had it twice, once when i added the Yellow Tangs and when we moved them from the 220g to the 120. I have 5 cleaner shrimp/2fire/2 coral banded/ Had 2 Sharknose and a cleaner wrasse so i may be the exception to the rule i guess.

ds4x4 said:
ds4x4 said:

I know most people dont like my suggestions on ICH but i hear horror stories of people tearing their tanks apart stressing ALL the fish out just to end up losing the fish that had the ICH in Copper treatment. Mine had it twice, once when i added the Yellow Tangs and when we moved them from the 220g to the 120. I have 5 cleaner shrimp/2fire/2 coral banded/ Had 2 Sharknose and a cleaner wrasse so i may be the exception to the rule i guess.

Very interesting Brandon,

If you knew the yellow tangs had ich why did you act surprised when I told you he had it.....Nice!!!!!!

Now I have done some fairly extensive research on ich because I have been thru it all to often. Feeding vitamin soaked food is good for the health of the fish that will also help with the fighting off part but is not going to help you down the road. Treating your hippo in a styrofoam cooler is a horrible idea. First of all without a cycled tank to put him in you are going to kill him with the stress of the large daily water changes in an attempt to control ammonia. Notice I said attempt.....Your not going to be able to do it. SO my advice to you would be to put the hippo back in the main tank and set up a treatment tank big enough for all your fish. Hopefully you have not already stressed the hippo out past the point of return or burned his gills with ammonia. After you set up a treatment tank add some bacteria in a bottle and let the tank run with no fish till the cycle is complete. Then add your fish, yes all your fish, to the treatment tank and treat them with Cupramine for 4 weeks leaving your main tank fallow for 12 weeks. In the future you must QT anything wet before putting it in your main tank. THis process is a PITA but is the only way to ensure ich free fish. Now if you are not willing to go thru all this just keep feeding and pray for the best. But I can tell you from expierience the next time you add a fish it just might wipe out your entire tank......OH and for the record...cleaner shrimp,wrasses and any other invert or fish will not eat ich.

......OH and for the record...cleaner shrimp,wrasses and any other invert or fish will not eat ich.

That is a pretty definitive statement...I like most have always been lead to believe the opposite. Do you have some research that backs it up, assume you do? Is there more then one source? I have a cleaner shrimp but don't rely on it.

That said maybe Brandon's tank is like a hospital tank for fish. ;D

JRWOHLER said:
......OH and for the record...cleaner shrimp,wrasses and any other invert or fish will not eat ich.

That is a pretty definitive statement...I like most have always been lead to believe the opposite. Do you have some research that backs it up, assume you do? Is there more then one source? I have a cleaner shrimp but don't rely on it.

That said maybe Brandon's tank is like a hospital tank for fish. ;D

Sure there is several articles on the web about it. One study was done on the stomach contents of a cleaner wrasse and it was discovered that ich was not one in the things inside. Most things I have read states that cleaners may knock the parasite off but will not consume it. Knocking the parasite off really does nothing good for the hobiest.
I will post some reading....

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2007/09/28/the-marine-ich-epidemic/

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/ich.html

R

reseter5

Ich is naturally found in the wild. Downside is now its in your tank. There life cycle is somewere around 6 weeks. I had to take all my fish out once to quarantine and let the tank side for 2 months with no fish. Since then I now keep a quarantine tank that's coppered with no problems. Always tangs due to the lack of scales. But when ich is isolated to an aqaurium it multiplies rapidly unlike the ocean full of water. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.