• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hippocampus erectus - Atlantic Lined Sea Horse

Hi, Just because I haven't been around for a while i would like to show off my new project, Sea Horse Tank. All were collected in Shark River. They have been treated with paragon and are eating frozen brine shrimp and blood worms.
There are 3 males and 4 females, the largest male and yellow female seem to be mated. All are showing personalities and show up at the front of the tank at feeding time.  Thanks to Matt for the advice on keeping them.
Greg
yellow%20female2.jpg

100_0341.jpg

100_0340.jpg

100_0334.jpg

100_0331.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Greg, they look awesome. Seems like you are doing really well with them.

One more word of advice, see if you can get them to take some frozen mysis shrimp, Hikari is my brand of choice, it is more nutrionally complete than the brine and bloodworms.

I swear, one of these days I will make it up there.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very cool. They're beautiful. Glad they're doing well for you.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whitebird1 said:
Tog fishing in AM Matt you have invite. Greg

Yeah well some of us have to work. :D I can't afford to miss any more days this week. Mother nature is not helping pay the bills this week with all the rain we're having.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
They look great... What part of Shark River were you in? I only live about 30min drive from there and never you could find them there.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice shots Greg. What kind of things are around early spring, so we can start planning another Dive Day?
Mike

MAVL666 found most at North Channel Allways diferent spots

michaelm2431 Horses come in early spring when the water is still cold
Dive trips in 2007 Yes!! I should have 2 boats docked in the River.
Just let me know when your ready.
Greg

momof6kids Thanks hey just checked My traps and 1 more horse!! Big Female and a pipe fish!!

jerseydiablo No the hills are the high ground in the back of Shark River Bay.

I have collected all my horses this year in North Channel by the 35 Bridge. Heavy current, did not think they would be there, but they are!

One other diver finds them by the ocean ave bridge in the main channel and off the jetty tips, both areas have heavy current also.

I collect them by placing "Killie traps", small fish traps with funnels, with no bait, off my dock and they just wander in and cant get out.

Next year I have a Idea how to make a Sea Horse trap that should work better, it will be my winter project.

I just talked to a friend on the docks and he said he gets them all the time!
he has burlap Bags that he hangs in the water with bait crabs in side. When he pulls them up he finds Sea Horses hanging on, their tails holding on the bag, slightly tanged in the burlap threads.

Hey you can't make this stuff up!! but it works.

Greg

Wild Female Just Collected Today.
I will hold her in a quarantine tank for a week and treat with Paragone. During this time I feed live adult Brine shrimp and introduce frozen food.
Greg
Wild%20Female.jpg