• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HOB Filter vs HOB Skimmer

Since I'm going full salt, I'm wondering if I should stick with the hob filter or should I switch to my hob remora skimmer. They take up the same footprint in the tank so that wouldn't matter. Just thinking what would be better for the fishes health.

Now for the other side. I ran my 44gal for almost a year with a aquaclear 110 that was cleaned every few months and a prisim skimmer. I did weekly WC's and it was super healthy. Every coral I put in there thrived. When I took the skinner offline the tank continued to thrive without missing a beat. IMO it was the lack of maintenance on the filter that I credited to the success. In the year it ran all I did was pull the sponge during water changes and give it a squeeze or two in the old water then put it back.
I only completely cleaned the filter a few times during the life of the tank and the amount of life in the filter was amazing. Each complete cleaning led to a short downturn in the tank but was quick to return.