• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Homemade Sea Water

radiata

NJRC Member
This was my thought too. Get a small (simple) boat with trailer and a bunch of containers. Go out to deep water, fill in, come back. Think of other benefits! -fishing, etc.

I've known people who've collected their salt water on the Jersey Shore. Plastic 55G drums were used for transport. Note that any vehicles you use will eventually suffer rust damage. To collect water ideally, you should go out 3 to 5 miles in your boat. Then you should filter the water with carbon to remove any petrochemicals. And then, you should store it for a few months to kill off any parasites. Whacking it with bleach would, no doubt, speed up this last process.

I can't possibly take my boat out and transport 55 gallons a day back to my house. This approach is not practical or money or time saving. Would be great if it could be done inexpensively and timely but it can't. I am going to try homemade. I have to try something I bought my third 200 gallon box in a week. I was falling behind in my water changes.

radiata

NJRC Member
I can't possibly take my boat out and transport 55 gallons a day back to my house. This approach is not practical or money or time saving. Would be great if it could be done inexpensively and timely but it can't. I am going to try homemade. I have to try something I bought my third 200 gallon box in a week. I was falling behind in my water changes.

Here's a starting point for your chemical purchases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_seawater

Good Luck!