• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How can I test if a chiller is working?

I found a chiller for sale but the current owner does not know if it works or not. She does not know anything about the hobby. She inherited a house and the chiller (and possibly other aquarium-related equipment) was already in it and she just wants to sell them. It's an Oceanic 1/2 HP chiller. Model # 01504.

I found this online, but it's for a JBJ chiller. I'm not sure if all chillers can be tested this way: Doing a static test to determine Aquarium Chiller Issues

I've never had a chiller before. Thanks for any advice!!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You could bring a pump and run the chiller for a little while to see if it cools the water off. Fill a bucket with some warm water, hook up the pump, turn on the chiller and pump, wait a little while and see if the water has cooled down. Of course bring a thermometer as well

You could bring a pump and run the chiller for a little while to see if it cools the water off. Fill a bucket with some warm water, hook up the pump, turn on the chiller and pump, wait a little while and see if the water has cooled down. Of course bring a thermometer as well

Definitely this is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk