• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How do you clean NEW dry sand?

So I have about 150 lbs of Tropic Eden Reef flakes that I need to wash and clean. I was wondering the different methods that people use to clean their sand.

thanks

I am hoping for some quick and easy trick to do it. I am lazy and don't feel like doing it at all

I didn't clean it at all when I used it. Though I had the luxury of starting a tank from scratch and not having to do an immediate transfer. That sand is surprisingly clean to start with. It may cloud the water a little bit but don't expect to find any foreign substances.

I didn't clean it at all when I used it. Though I had the luxury of starting a tank from scratch and not having to do an immediate transfer. That sand is surprisingly clean to start with. It may cloud the water a little bit but don't expect to find any foreign substances.

I don't have to do an immediate transfer either. I am basically starting from scratch for the most part. I am etching all of my rock so I don't need to worry about setting up everything in a rush.

I fill up a 5 gallon bucket with sand, and then overflow the bucket and stir it with my hands until the water runs clear. Even after cleaning the sand, my tanks have always clouded for a few days.

I don't have to do an immediate transfer either. I am basically starting from scratch for the most part. I am etching all of my rock so I don't need to worry about setting up everything in a rush.

Then. Suggest you save yourself a lot of rinsing and do the same thing I did. Empty tank, set up the rock scape then add the sand dry. Then just hook up the rodi to the tank and fill it. When it is full, put on a filter sock and stir the sand a little bit. You will surprised how clean that sand is at that point. What ever does cone up will get caught by the sock.

I added about 60lbs when I did my 90 and the sock was basically clean after stirring the sand this way. When I was done I added salt a bit at a time in the sump until the I got the salinity to where I wanted.

Then. Suggest you save yourself a lot of rinsing and do the same thing I did. Empty tank, set up the rock scape then add the sand dry. Then just hook up the rodi to the tank and fill it. When it is full, put on a filter sock and stir the sand a little bit. You will surprised how clean that sand is at that point. What ever does cone up will get caught by the sock.

I added about 60lbs when I did my 90 and the sock was basically clean after stirring the sand this way. When I was done I added salt a bit at a time in the sump until the I got the salinity to where I wanted.

For the post part that is what I will do. I have a bunch of 40gal Brute cans I will pre fill with water just to get a head start. with the 150gal a day upgrade membrane I can make water rather quickly

I used the this sand also and did an immediate transfer a few months ago when i moved. No rinsing and was clear in minutes.

Btw I love this sand, it holds up to flow well. I owe a big thanks to john for the suggestion

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have never ever cleaned tropic eden sand. Its possibly the Cleanest sand on planet earth... You will have ZERO issues just dumping it in and starting your pumps.. I bet a frag on it.

It's really a shame that more places don't carry this sand. Even at the new higher price it's worth every penny.

I don't think cleaning is an issue. If anything, phosphates are a potential issue and they ought to be dealt with in the usual way.

I don't think cleaning is an issue. If anything, phosphates are a potential issue and they ought to be dealt with in the usual way.

I disagree. Always clean dry sand. Your rocks will absorb the phosphates from the sediment in dirty new sand, which will lead to algae issues. Why struggle to fight when you can prevent? I wasted a solid $250-350 on phosphate remover during my fight.