• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How do you sump?

Ok so I currently have a 20g long tank with hob equipment.

I bought a 75g marineland tank with a 10g sump. It also had 2 pumps, 2 lights and a bunch of other stuff.

I've never had a sump before and don't know how to plumb. It is drilled at the bottom for 2 holes which seems one is for return and one is to go into the sump. From what I've been reading, most people have more drains in order to reduce noice and in case of emergencies. Any tips on how I should set it all up?

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Ok so I currently have a 20g long tank with hob equipment.

I bought a 75g marineland tank with a 10g sump. It also had 2 pumps, 2 lights and a bunch of other stuff.

I've never had a sump before and don't know how to plumb. It is drilled at the bottom for 2 holes which seems one is for return and one is to go into the sump. From what I've been reading, most people have more drains in order to reduce noice and in case of emergencies. Any tips on how I should set it all up?
Hi foxchase, I would probably not use the 10 gallon for a sump it is to small. Use your old 20 long it would be better and that’s even a bit small in my opinion but it will work.
You said the tank is drilled on the bottom, does it have a built in overflow? If it doesn’t that’s a pretty dangerous situation, if a bulkhead leaks for some crazy reason it will empty the whole tank. With the overflow it will only empty till it hits the bottom of the weir. Much safer.

Hi foxchase, I would probably not use the 10 gallon for a sump it is to small. Use your old 20 long it would be better and that’s even a bit small in my opinion but it will work.
You said the tank is drilled on the bottom, does it have a built in overflow? If it doesn’t that’s a pretty dangerous situation, if a bulkhead leaks for some crazy reason it will empty the whole tank. With the overflow it will only empty till it hits the bottom of the weir. Much safer.
Yes it has a weir. The sump was already built into it. I'm not sure how to build one myself or turn the 20g into a sump.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I keep it simple one drain and one return
I also agree a 10 gallon tank is too small for a 75 gallon. I would do a 40 breeder .
use the 20 long for a frag tank and the ten gallon for qt
6EEB9FF4-7661-4000-B20F-27D201C9FF55.jpeg

Last edited:
I keep it simple one drain and one return
I also agree a 10 gallon tank is too small for a 75 gallon. I would do a 40 breeder .
muse the 20 long for a frag tank and the ten gallon for qt
View attachment 28217
That's how my tank is except it's on the corner. Where would I be able to get glass in order to make baffles for a sump? Do I have to special order it?

And if I may ask without sound too stupid, why is a 10g too small? Is it just because of the water volume? Or is there another reason?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That's how my tank is except it's on the corner. Where would I be able to get glass in order to make baffles for a sump? Do I have to special order it?

yes my tank had two one in each corner.
you don’t need baffles right away.
I would keep it simple. Just run the hose from the tank to the sump.
You can add a sock holder as well
The sump in the beginning is just a place to put a heater and skimmer .

Prefilter sock holder mount with 1 free filter bag 200 micron felt 4 inch filter bag for aquarium reef marine tank Acrylic made holder

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
And if I may ask without sound too stupid, why is a 10g too small? Is it just because of the water volume? Or is there another reason?
No it’s not a stupid question. When you power Goes out or you return pump dies. Water from your main tank will go down to your sump. It’s not a lot of water but it’s enough to spill. the 10 gallon the tank is not able to hold all that water.
you will also like to add a skimmer/heater/return pump and maybe a reactor in the future so 10 gallons is too small.
Can you take a picture of what you have.
You might be missing this kit.

Aqueon AAG29251 Overflow Accessory New Kit Amazon.com : Aqueon AAG29251 Overflow Accessory New Kit : Aquarium Starter Kits : Pet Supplies

Last edited:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
You can do what I did and buy a kit. Do a search on ebay Fiji Cube Sump Kit Refugium Baffle Kit
Fiji Cube Sump Kit Refugium Baffle Kit - 20 Gallon Long | eBay

If you want something a little less expensive there is Modular Marine kits Refugium Kits

Here is my ebay fiji kit on a 40B ...

1585004127262.png

Couldn’t you run a pipe from the bottom hole all the way up to an overflow box mounted at the top of the tank??