• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How far have you traveled to go to a fish store?

Some people tell me I'm crazy when I say "I'm going a fish store that's an hour away." Most people will tell me "You're an idiot" and "Why don't you just go to petco!" LOL HAHAHA Then I explain to them ... "saltwater fish, coral, petco has nothin like that bla bla bla bla bla." The furthest I ever went was to that fish place, I think it was over 3 hours! I can't even tell you the miles I've traveled and the gas money i spent going to different stores. Not to mention my truck gets about 13 miles a gallon, so these trips really cost me when gas was over 3$ / gal. It prob averages 1-2 trips to a store a week for the last 10 years. And the closest store to me is 15-20 mins. Also, my wife finds this manuver extremely testing to her nerves.... Every few weeks I do the "fish store 500" That's when I go to red sand, ocean gallery, pet shanty, and reefs inc ( no more reef inc he's closed ). Usually in that order on a sat or sun. Hey instead of sittin around doin nothin, you can always go to a LFS ;D So how far have you traveled? How many times a week?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That Fish Place is probably the farthest I've been to. We were manning the MACNA booth so I'm not sure if it counts, though! It's a KILLER store and I would definitely go out there again if I ever needed anything. The closest stores to me are at least 30 minutes away. They are Trop (and now Reef to Reptiles) and AllQuatics. Unfortunately (well fortunately, really), I have more excess equipment than I'll ever use and my tank is fully stocked, so I have no real reason to go LFS' anymore. There's nothing to buy and window shopping with no place to put anything is a little depressing!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
panmanmatt said:
5 hours. Took a day trip down to Mr Coral's store in Maryland.

Oh yeah, I did that too! ;D I also made the trek to Mr. Coral and another really awesome store down there (I can't remember the name though).

Thnaks for the memory jog Matt!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Been to That Fish Place twice and some store in Maryland no clue what the name was, just passing by.

Wow 5 hours to mr coral thats a haul! Did you call first to make sure he was stocked up good? Yeah MACNA counts. Although there was a little more incentive to get there , compared to a everyday LFS.

John, maybe you should start another tank. Then you can start traveling again, LOL

I'm about 30 min from Mr Coral and still haven't been.

We has a NJRC meeting at a grand opening of a Fish store in New York once. I can't remember the name of the store. It took me about 4 hours to get there from South Jersey.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Distance wise it was to Dr. Macs...time wise about 8 hours drive to That Fish Place...I used to live about one hour from the store but there was an accident on Rt. 30 getting back with a tanker truck...we sat there for almost 8 hours waiting, couldn't move forward or back due to emergency equipment...not fun...

John if you want you can shop and put stuff in my tank! Just trying to help here! ;D ;D

Rod

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:
Oh yeah, I did that too! ;D I also made the trek to Mr. Coral and another really awesome store down there (I can't remember the name though).

Thnaks for the memory jog Matt!

Not a problem. We all need a little memory jog now and again.

I’ve been doing the LFS 500 for the past few months, all mostly within a hour and a half one way. Farthest is That Fish Place in Pa (about three hours) … although my wife doesn’t mind, since she is from Lancaster and we visit her relatives, so it works out. She almost always goes with me on all the runs, I think she likes being with me, I don’t know why… but one trick I found is that if I keep looking at the same thing, each store or multiple times at the same store, she usually says.. Why don’t you just buy it?? So I really like when she goes with me. ;D
If you’re at OGII and Pet Shanty… make the hop to Underwater World in Roselle, not that much farther. They had some nice stuff last time I went although AO is my favorite (besides, its 15 min from my house)

Bob

TFP...the mecca of dry goods.... ;D Servicing all my pets needs from the small animals to the reptiles to the sw fish. A+ One summer we got a room at the hotel (i forget the name) which has an indoor pool with a slide and everything for the kids.

Before I moved to NJ - I have hit places like Pets Warehouse in Long Island (it's far east down the southern state parkway).

I have never been to Dr. Mac or Mr. Coral though I'd love to check them out one day.

OG II is a routine stop as it's on my way back from work. AqOB is great as I appreciate the advice and friendship from the guys there (both employed and njrc hanger-ons...hahah).

Let's see...side trips - going to Flemington, NJ to help with the invert group buy last year. Going to R2reptiles for the invert group buy this year. I know it's not a store - but when I went to phyl/john's place to help with the Premium Aquatics Group buy - that place became a store! lol.

Only went once to that fish place just to go there and came right home.
however we have family in that area and often visit and of course I go to that store while I'm there.

BobnKate said:
She almost always goes with me on all the runs, I think she likes being with me, I don’t know why… but one trick I found is that if I keep looking at the same thing, each store or multiple times at the same store, she usually says.. Why don’t you just buy it?? So I really like when she goes with me. ;D

HAHAHA I use that same trick! Too funny

BobnKate said:
… make the hop to Underwater World in Roselle, not that much farther. They had some nice stuff last time I went although AO is my favorite (besides, its 15 min from my house)

Bob

Yeah I've been meaning to go there for a while