• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How high do you mount you’re lights?

How high do you keep your light of the surface of the water? I’ll start off by saying mine are 12” above.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Seems 12-18" is average.
I'm running a hybrid fixture of 4 T5s and 3 Hydra 26HDs over a 4' wide 20" deep.
With LEDs alone I'll run it 12", with the T5s I kicked it up to 16".

12 to 18 is higher than I expected. I thought that 12 would have been on the higher end. Thanks for your input.

The question is it bit to general. Type of light. How many you have and how many watts along with what you are keeping are all big factors. But I will say this. Modern LED can carry a whole lot of lumens. And most people run them close to fifty percent. Plus the higher they are the better the different color Chanel’s blend. With all that said The higher the better. Perhaps that’s why the sun is mounted 94 million miles away lol.

My 3 channel T5’s are 12” above water. My leds are 2” above water. That is what works for my growth of corals and lighting :)