• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How is the bulkhead size determined?

I see 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2" for sale on line. How is that measured, is it the inside diameter of the bulkhead? I'm having my tank moved Saturday and want to buy new gaskets, which measure out to be 1 5/8" on the inside ring of the gasket (this is what fits over the threaded bulkhead). So does it sound like I have a 1 1/2" bulkhead? Thanks.

I see 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2" for sale on line. How is that measured, is it the inside diameter of the bulkhead? I'm having my tank moved Saturday and want to buy new gaskets, which measure out to be 1 5/8" on the inside ring of the gasket (this is what fits over the threaded bulkhead). So does it sound like I have a 1 1/2" bulkhead? Thanks.
Pics

Thank you Goodair. I measured the return screwed into the bulkhead in the tank and it measured 1 1/4". Now I just need to find someone who has that size, seems 1 1/4" is not common, but 3/4" 1" and 1 1/2 are. Likely won't be able to get new seals before Saturday so I'll have to hope I don't have any issues using the current seal which hasn't been touched since the tank was set up and has never leaked. No way I can get the tank out of the custom stand I built without removing the bulkheads. Thanks again.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just FYI, if you go to one of the 2 big home improvement stores they sell gasket materials in sheet form so you can cut your own.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here’s one of the issues with plumbing parts….is it schedule 40 or schedule 80. The difference is the pressure these fittings/pipes can take, and I’ve never understood the need for schedule 80 on fish tanks….yet people use this stuff. Anyway, schedule 40, which is still overkill for our tanks, has the following drill sizes for respective bulkhead sizes:

Size: 1/2″ = Hole Size: 1 1/8″ or 1 1/4″
Size: 3/4″ = Hole Size: 1 1/2″
Size: 1″ = Hole Size: 1 3/4″
Size: 1 1/2″ = Hole Size: 2 3/8″
Size: 2″ = Hole Size: 2 7/8″

* may differ from one manufacturer to another

And for those that might be interested, here are the Schedule 80 hole sizes:
Bulkhead SizeMaximum Hole SizeMinimum Hole Size
1" Sch 80. Bulkhead65mm/2.55"48mm/1.88"
1 1/4" Sch 80. Bulkhead83mm/3.28"59mm/2.31"
1 1/2" Sch 80. Bulkhead90mm/3.54"64mm/2.56"
2” Sch 80. Bulkhead103mm/4.05"81mm/3.18"