• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How long without aeration?

Hi all - I was doing some late night plumbing and screwed up a bulkhead seal. The result is I had to shut down my sump and return line to the display. In the mad scramble to stop the leak and insure the heaters were okay and all, I forgot to provide aeration but pointing my powerhead to the surface or adding an airstone etc.

It has been 11 hours....should I hustle home or do they think the livestock will have enough. I did pour about a half gallon of RO/DI in around 8:00am.

Thanks!

i think with enough ph's in the display itself you should be ok for a day - (especially with the lights on and the algae producing O2).

How big is your tank and how big is your bioload (how many fish @ what sizes)?

If you have plenty of PHs going, you "should" be all right, but it does depend on system size and amount of livestock.

Thanks Phil! - Very timely response! I read your note before lunch and decided not to take the 45 emergency ride commute ride. All was fine, much to my releif.

Thanks Wendy - My bioload is currently very light for a 75g/40g sump system. 5 chromis, Royal Gramma and a tiny Ocellaris clown. I did add a big RBTA a few weeks ago which had me a little concerned. Other then that it's mostly Euphllyia (frogspawn, etc) and Monti's.

BTW - My bioload won't be so light when my birthday rolls around, along with a visit for the 25% off deal at Ocean Gallery takes place! ;D
Thx again...
also...I stayed up until 2:00 fixing the sump and it's all back in motion. Had it not been for that spontaneous decision to do two hours worth of rock scaping, I would have been in bed by 12:00. :-\